Need advice!! Med error/Board action

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Need advice!! Med error/Board action

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:19 pm
Need advice!! Med error/Board action
Help! I really need someones advice. A year ago, (night shift) I gave some medications to the wrong patient. We were understaffed and I even called the supervisor at home with this concern. I was told if I didnt like it, I could leave. They said their company doesnt use registry. Of coarse, I stayed. Wish i wouldnt have! I was new at this facility as well - only worked 2 prior shifts there. Anyway, I was behind schedule . Upon entering the patients room he nodded when asked if he was Mr. xyz -- He was on a ventilator so could not speak. He followed simple commands. I gave the meds without checking the armband. BIG MISTAKE!!! Patient went into resp failure the next morning and died. I was fired the next day and immediately reported to the state board. 2 weeks later, autopsy report showed med error did not contribute to patents death. Now I have a decree of censure on my license and cannot get a job. Dont get me wrong, I am well aware I didnt follow the 5 rights and believe me, that will never happen again. I have learned from this experience. I still don't think a nurse should be labeled as incompetent or a risk because she made A mistake. I have a BSN and med//surg certification and believe it or not,I really care about my patients and I am very detail oriented when it comes to my work. In 13 yrs, I have never been reprimanded for my clinical performance. What can i do to make employers see, i am not a risk and a good competent rn? I am in my 40's and it would be extremely difficult to find a new career at this point in my life. Any suggestions?? Thank you so much.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Need advice!! Med error/Board action
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 04:04:55