ACLS

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:05 pm
ACLS (wish I had been sick)
Just venting a bit. I recertified for ACLS and COMPLETELY forgot that one must NEVER miss the lecture prior to the pass-off day (the algorithms change year to year anymore). Well, being married and with kids now, I didn't attend the lecture part. As a result, I almost failed on recertifying. What was really embarrassing was drawing a complete blank on 3 of the 4 algorithms, mainly because of not being prepared. Been a nurse 24 years and 15 spent in ICU. Feeling really stoooopid and embarrassed.

Bill 1

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:17 pm
Don't be to hard on yourselve, we all have those bad days!

sn 1

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
I am pretty new to the nursing industry. Can someone tell me what ACLS stands for.

ckaolmore: I was wondering when you started out as a nurse? Any other lessons you've learned that you would like to share is appreciated. I am currently interested in travel nursing while I am still unattached. Hope everything has come together for you!

moomin 1

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
I looked it up and this is the definition:

Advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) is a detailed medical protocol for the provision of lifesaving cardiac care in settings ranging from the pre-hospital environment to the hospital setting.

ACLS is the appropriate medical response to cardiac arrest and is continued until the person is revived or is declared dead by a competent medical authority. The standards for ACLS in the United States are administered by the American Heart Association.

ACLS consists of the provision of advanced cardiac drugs, defibrillation and intubation or RSI. For witnessed or monitored arrests, ACLS also includes a single precordial thump.

ckaolmore

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:14 pm
ACLS
Thanks for your replies! I am planning on retaking the entire course again and might even get involved in teaching it. As far as what ACLS is: it is a required certification for more critical areas of nursing. For non critical areas it is only voluntary.

ckaolmore

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:19 pm
ACLS
To sn: What I would do as far as getting ready for travel nursing is get well acquainted in the specialty you are interested in and then go for it. For ICU, I became adept at med-surg (basic nursing) and the prioritizing of 4 or more patients per shift. Then I moved to telemetry for a year and then ICU, where I took a basic ICU class (the best thing I ever did as a nurse).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 06:08:42