How much could these issues hold me back?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » How much could these issues hold me back?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TaraJo

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 01:28 pm
How much could these issues hold me back?
I am a CNA. I got registered in March of 08. I worked as a CNA all of 08 but then had some issues come up. I wanted to ask how these could impact my employability. I've had a really tough time finding work and I know part of it is the economy, but I still have to think there's more I can do.

1) I don't have CPR certification. When I got my CNA, I was told that nursing homes are always understaffed and didn't need you to be CPR certified. While that may still be true, as I apply to hospitals and even home health agencies, they all want you to have it.

2) I don't have a car. This holds me back, mostly, from finding work as a home health aide. They want me to be able to drive clients around which, even if I had a car, I really wouldn't want to do (I'm not a very good driver). However, it also prevents me from getting a job at a nursing home that I can't walk/take a bus to.

3) ...and here's the unique one. I'm also a transsexual woman. Which means I, legally have a male name on my photo ID, on my CNA registration and for all my legal records so far. But I look/sound/act just like any other woman you might meet on the street. Yet, I keep getting the feeling that, when I apply for jobs, HR takes one look at the name on my application and, suddenly, they don't have any openings.

Any feedback you have would be wonderful. Thanks!

lisaWl

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 03:45 pm
These are definitely drawbacks
Why don't you get a CPR certificate? It is not a difficult course. You can even get it online.

About a car, that's a drawback. Is there any big hospital around you? Maybe you can find work there. Big hospitals will usually have good public transportation to them.

Your third problem is indeed unique Smile. Is it possible to change your name to something more unisex? I have no idea how difficult it would be to also change your name on your legal records, but I assume it is possible.

Good luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » How much could these issues hold me back?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 04:23:07