Is there a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is there a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nbriese

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:15 pm
Is there a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day?
I have recently been considering going to school to become an RN and eventually move on to a BS/ and train to be a CNM. I was told by a friend who is a bank manager that the majority of her applications come from nurses who want to get out. Is this a normal feeling? Those of you who are currently RN's, are you satisfied emotionally and physically when you go home at the end of the day, or a feeling of, "there has to be something better"?

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!![/list]

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:44 pm
Quote:
I was told by a friend who is a bank manager that the majority of her applications come from nurses who want to get out.

It's an extremely common feeling . . . mainly because most bedside nurses are tired of the grind and the stress, and the bad hours. Too many patients to care for safely, the frustration of having to run people through the system so rapidly, the stress of having someone's life in your hands . . . fear of lawsuits, etc, etc, etc.

There is also another side of the issue. A lot of nurses would like to know what it's like to work a "normal" job . . . you know, 9-5, no weekends, no holidays, and when the business closes its doors at night, you go home and spend time with your family. One where you can put on nice clothes and makeup, and feel like a woman. One RN I worked with was upset that the hospital was going to make her take off her acrylic nails (infection control, you know), and "this is the one thing I do for myself that makes me feel feminine".

I once worked with an RN who had just finished her BSN --- some lights went on in her head during her BSN program, when she realized that work isn't just about "cleaning up pee and poop". Some of us are also just ready to try our hands at something different, like business. Most RNs are very bright, and sometimes, bedside nursing can get very routine and boring.

But, you say you want to be a CNM, and most of the CNMs I know are very satisfied with their jobs. But CNMs don't function as an average nurse, and have a lot more autonomy than most nurses do. So, if you that's your dream, I can see you having a very satisfying career.

nbriese

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:40 pm
Thank you very much for you input. I just have waited six years to go back to school for the simple reason of fear of not being satisfied. BUT, I love kids, and I love helping people. I jsut know that I do want a family of my own in the future. Just a scary feeling, and that is what has held me back from pursuing anything further. Guess it never hurt to try!

nbriese

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:42 pm
Really it all comes down to "people with straight hair want it curly, and people with curly hair want it straight"!!!! lol

LisaRN

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:18 pm
I can tell you that my entire life all I wanted was to be a nurse. Once I attained that goal....it was truly amazing. I was extremely happy with my profession, despite the stress and the hard work....theres alot of bad politics that goes on in nursing....but on the other hand, it is truly rewarding when you help someone and they look at you and smile or pat you on the hand or tell you thank you. I was truly blessed by alot of my patients.

Now that I am no longer able to work, it is one of the most difficult times in my life. I miss nursing. I miss working with my patients and having that closeness with my colleagues.

If it is your dream...then do it.
Very Happy

LisaRN

nbriese

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:28 pm
Thank you all for you input and encouragement!!! It is much appreciated!!!!

god bless,

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is there a feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 11:24:04