LPN's

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boo0880

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:10 pm
LPN's
In the hospital I am going to be starting out in, they are trying to "phase out" the LPN's. I know in other areas they have already done this in some areas. I was just wondering what some of the good and bad to this was and if it has worked where they have tried it.

Beckybee1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:39 pm
Hi,
At my hospital, which is a big one, the phasing out of LVN's is very noticable. Those with positions continue working, in teams with RN's, and as LVN's leave their positions, they are replaced with RN's. It seems to be quite effective, except for the shortage problem, which never goes away. With nurse/patient ratio laws looming over them however, the hospitals seem to do everything they can to help employees ladder up in their career if they so choose.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:53 am
Interesting that hospitals in other parts of the country are just now trying to phase out LPNs. Most of the hospitals here phased out LPNs many years ago, and almost all of them are entirely RN only, even with the shortage. There are a few exceptions, and there are still a few units where hospitals use LPNs (TCUs, or Rehab units, primarily).

It does mean that most of the local hospitals have many, many unfilled positions, and use a lot of travelers. It also means that an RN's wages has risen about 30% in the past three years.

As far as the benefits, well, it's a lot easier to be all RN, since LPNs in this state have limited practice, and the RN has to pick up the things that the LPN can't do. I can't say that the quality of the care is necessarily better, since many competent and experienced LPNs were forced out.

I started out as an LPN before becoming an RN. It's always been my advice that any competent LPN should become an RN. It's called job security.

LisaRN

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:00 pm
In my area, Arkansas...it has always been said that LPN's will be phased out..however, it hasnt happened ...Im sure there are places that have more RN's than LPNs...but the reverse is true as well...

LisaRN

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:31:17