Considering Nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Considering Nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:50 pm
Considering Nursing
Hi, I want to study nursing and I love children but am not sure what field to pursue. Any advise would be appreciated! What kind of schooling would I need? What does the position entail?

surfgirl

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:45 am
Here is a break down of the different departments:
Pediatrics: must be an RN and you will care for infants, children and teenagers.
Maternal & Child health: you will work with pregnant women, and newborns.
NICU: advanced education to take care of critically ill infants.

There might be more but these are what I'm aware of.
Good Luck!

km 1

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
As far as schooling goes you should first become a registered nurse. You then can take extra classes for various specializations. Pediatrics requires a 2 year masters degree. This will let you work in hospitals, clinics and schools. Midwifery requires a masters. NICU you must first be a nurse practitioner. You will then take the necessary classes such as infant medical treatment. Do some research online there is a lot of information out there.

1abCRNA

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:55 pm
Working with children
First, you do not have to be a nurse practitioner to work in Neonatal Intensive Care Units. Only if you are wanting to be an ARNP in that specialty. Most larger cities with children's hospitals offer internships to graduates in the NICU, Pediatric ICU, and other areas such as operating room. If you have to work through school, I recommend checking your local hospital for any position that will allow you to go to school. Many hospital offer tuition reimbursement and scholarships through the hospital foundation,etc. Pursue your dream.

evajadyn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 02:35 am
NICU Nurse
Hello. I am a NICU nurse. I am a travel nurse as well. I spent 9 years in the Navy as a medic, while I was going to nursing school at the same time. I graduated nursing school in 2001 and started working as a graduate nurse in training in JAN 2002. With 2 years experience in NICU, I decided to go traveling. I travel with my Navy retired husband and my 3 year old and my 1 year old. Now, I am considering becoming a NNP (neonatal nurse practicioner)., FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS.

alik63

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:27 pm
which school you are going, I will start this Fall in Yonker.

nbriese

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 02:23 pm
I am interested in the same area as you
I am looking to start out in maternity and work my way up to CNM. I hope that your desires will fall into place! Stay in touch and maybe we can go through this process together!

Good Luck

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:35 pm
Mt Washington Pediatric Hospital in Baltimore has a "TICU" for the little guys out of NICU that are not cleared for infant nursery.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Considering Nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:58:47