18 and starting nursing school in july

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » 18 and starting nursing school in july

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:39 am
18 and starting nursing school in july
well i just turned 18 like last month, i have like 30 days till i graduate high school. I just got acceptance to nursing school. i start july 7 WOW. Im a male and i wanted to know is there any bad things of being a male nurse. Im always loved nursing my mom is a surgical tech has her cna and she always told me to go for nursing. So i really just wanna no is nursing a good ocupation and is it good for men.

TammySue

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:33 pm
Re: 18 and starting nursing school in july
bcthskid09 wrote:
So i really just wanna no is nursing a good ocupation and is it good for men.

it's a great occupation. there is a sort of boot camp feel to both nursing school and the first 6-12 months at your first job. some nurses like to test the new ones, and sometimes it feels like they're bullying people. that may be true, but if you can just be ready for that attitude in some of the older ones, then you'll be able to sail past that and nursing will offer you a lot of opportunities.

since starting my nursing career 12 years ago, i have:

worked as an office nurse
worked in a med-surg unit
learned telemetry
worked in psychiatric nursing - inpatient setting
served on risk management committee for a hospital
worked in psychiatric nursing - community setting
worked as a team leader for case managers
helped develop and implement an electronic medical record
worked as the risk manager and compliance person
worked as the mental health nurse in a jail of 600 inmates
consulted with prior employer about joint commission accreditation

i did all of this within 4 different companies, taking on any new challenge that presented itself. if you like change and challenges, you'll find it in nursing. if you like to settle into one job and stick with it, you can do that too.

the money and benefits are great. some people make more money, but often they also work longer hours. nursing has paid me back in many ways over the years, for the efforts i put into getting my degree and license.

don't worry about being a male nurse. almost everyone i know welcomes the men who join us. the diversity is good in many ways.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » 18 and starting nursing school in july
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:14:37