Relocate or work on my BSN?!?!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Relocate or work on my BSN?!?!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

anne11

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 07:38 pm
Relocate or work on my BSN?!?!
There are slim to no jobs around the Idaho area. I have been applying in all different areas in nursing and there are very few graduate nursing positions open. Are there any opinions on relocating or working on getting my BSN degree. I only have one more year left to get my BSN but does it make that much of a difference?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 09:50 pm
nope it makes no difference.
please see the post somewhere on this board like difference between adn and bsn

anne11

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:27 pm
But if you are looking into different nursing positions rather than just being a floor nurse, a bachelors degree is more benificial?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:50 pm
anne11 wrote:
But if you are looking into different nursing positions rather than just being a floor nurse, a bachelors degree is more benificial?

REALLY PLEASE TELL ME HOW? I KNOW MANY AND NURSE MANAGERS AND DON'S. THE REQUIRED BSN IS A LOAD OF CRAP THAT SCHOOLS PUSH ON PEOPLE. THE ONLY WAY OYU NEED YOUR BSN IS FOR WORKING AT THE HEALTH DEPT.

anne11

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:45 pm
What about case managers? Don't you think they give BSN nurses preferences over ADN nurses when they are hiring for positons?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:53 pm
nope. tell me how a statistics class or that speech class is gonna give you a leg up in the nursing world? answer that and you will have a reason a bsn may be better.

liz37

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 08:31 am
Relocate or work on my BSN
Wow. I suppose it does depend on where one works, and what one wants to do. I recommend that anyone who can, ( finances / Family obligations ) transition into a BSN program as soon as possible if their initial education was at the AD level.
It is not just a statistics class or a theory class. It's gaining a broader understanding of critical thinking, leadership, theory, research, history, finance and health care systems. This is not to say that nurses prepared at the AD level are inadequate. I work with brilliant wonderful nurses who are AD prepared. I encourage them to continue their education to enhance their practice and to give them more options. My best wishes to you.

EbonyRN

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:16 am
I agree with Liz37. Having my BSN has opend many doors for me. Others are correct when they stated the pay is not different if you work the floor. However the opportunities are much greater for promotions.

Good luck
Ebony

TammySue

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:44 pm
Re: Relocate or work on my BSN?!?!
anne11 wrote:
does it make that much of a difference?

if you want to work in administration someday, or if you want to work in a health department, they prefer the BSN. if you want to teach nursing clinicals in a 2 year program, you will need the BSN. you also make a little more money up front (maybe a dollar an hour?), and later on there is more of a difference in pay if you take on more responsibilities.

the BSN opens opportunities for you later on. when you're looking for your first job, it doesn't matter as much as having your license. but the opportunities to move up later on are greatly increased by the BSN. it's the reason i have been able to do so many things in 12 years, while many of my ADN colleagues are still in the same hospital jobs as when i started. if that's what you want, no problem. but i'm really glad i got the 4 year degree.

i would suggest getting a job, then working on the BSN part time. often your employer will pay for it. i'm in my 4th year of getting my MBA, with a year to go cause i'm part time, but a lot of it has been paid for by my employer. further education is usually a great thing, but i like it best when it works in with my career, as i need income now, and i also learn better if i'm applying what i'm learning in a current job.

TammySue

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:47 pm
TeleNurseboy wrote:
nope. tell me how a statistics class or that speech class is gonna give you a leg up in the nursing world? answer that and you will have a reason a bsn may be better.

i have found that those non-nursing classes have helped me a lot. but a lot of my work has been in administrative type stuff. you have to know how to work with the larger system, all the way up too the national level, to be successful in that sort of work. it's very different from patient care work, although one is just as important as the other. it depends on your personal goals.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Relocate or work on my BSN?!?!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:15:29