Community College vs. University trained nurses....

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Community College vs. University trained nurses....

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:40 pm
Community College vs. University trained nurses....
Hi, I am currently a student at a community college who is taking my last set of prerequisite classes before my name gets put on the list for actual nursing school. I was wondering is it a difference in training for nurses at a community college compared to a university. What is the likelihood that I'll be trained properly? What are my chances of finding a good paying job when I graduate? Is it better to be trained at a community college or a university?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 10:04 pm
i am a CC nurse here. biggest difference between a ADN and BSN is all the BS. jokes aside you sit for the same board you get payed the same and dont believe that crap that a BSN get promoted faster that is just something the college shovels at you to want you to go to them and pay twice as much for the same class. i know plenty of nurses that are ADN and are better then BSN so dont believe the hype (yes i know adn can suck too)

nurse2b921

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:40 am
university students have to take more classes that don't necessarily pertain to nursing... such as other electives. they do not necessarily get more "nursing" training. about being promoted faster, i believe that nursing managers generally have to be at least a BSN, so being promoted to that level you have to have a BSN, at least that has been the case for every nurse manager i've come in contact with. also, having a BSN allows you to potentially go on to get your masters, becoming a CNS, educator, NP, or CRNA.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 07:20 pm
nurse2b921 wrote:
university students have to take more classes that don't necessarily pertain to nursing... such as other electives. they do not necessarily get more "nursing" training. about being promoted faster, i believe that nursing managers generally have to be at least a BSN, so being promoted to that level you have to have a BSN, at least that has been the case for every nurse manager i've come in contact with. also, having a BSN allows you to potentially go on to get your masters, becoming a CNS, educator, NP, or CRNA.

no, no, no to many things. first you dont have to be a bsn to get to be a manger you have to be a good manager to be a manager (or to stay one) you do not need your bsn to become a np, crna etc. you an actually bridge over from an adn to a msn,np crna etc from an ADN. it is actually faster to a crna to get your adn and bridge over to a msn, np, crna etc. (2 years for adn school and 2 years bridge = 4 years to msn. bsn equals 4 years + 2 years to msn = 6 years.

nurse2b921

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:43 pm
alright well i'd be interested to find out which school you've seen this at because i haven't heard of many people completing an ADN program in 2 years and never heard of a 2 year bridge, so maybe i should look into that since it is such a better idea.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 07:54 pm
certainly
i went to www.phcc.edu for my adn (4 semesters) and here is one college that does the bridge. www.usf.edu more specifically
http://health.usf.edu/nocms/nursing/Programs_of_Study/rntomasters.html
they give you credit while taking masters classes to apply towards your bsn so you successfully earn them both at the same time. 15 credits for your bsn and then masters (i was told by advisor 2 years it may involve summers but even if it does involve going both summers you still come out faster then doing each seperately)

dof

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 08:39 am
Managers
So, help me out here. The entire discussion here seems to be how do you go about becoming a manager, and therefore don't have to actually take care of people. You go to nursing school to become a nurse. You want to manage, well, go to business school.

Why is it that nurses seem to feel that if you actually take care of patients you are a failure?

BecomeANurseNowcom

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:49 pm
In my experience, ADN nurses get more clinical experience in school. BSN nurses get more of the "university" courses along with the nursing.

I find both to be equally qualified when it comes to bedside nursing.

As far as moving up, a BSN will help you. I have friends that have moved up into managerial/supervisor positions and are now having to go back for their BSN degree through night school etc. Not a huge deal, and it did not stop them from being promoted, but a bit of a pain if you ask me to have to go back and take classes such as art appreciation when you are working as a nurse =)

I am in the south. Here the pay is no different right now, but we are starting to move that way. It is not much of a difference, but just this year, they have added that nurses must have a BSN (or some sort of national certification such as CCRN or PCCN) to move up in the clinical ladder, which means more pay.

Again, both are equally qualified and I completely support the CC route. I do recommend going back for your BSN after you start working if you have any plan of moving up, or even getting your masters. Yes there are some bridge programs, and they may be good. Can't say I know much about them.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Community College vs. University trained nurses....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:19:04