Considering nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Considering nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Cathy 1

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:45 pm
Considering nursing
I am considering a career change at the age of 40 from accounting to nursing. I have researched the requirements to become a nurse but was wondering if this is a job I can begin at my age. I am in good physical condition.

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:01 am
Off course you can manage the change physically. My concern is the mental change. Accounting is so different from nursing, with entirely different work stresses. I've seen a few people who've tried to make the switch from finance to nursing and quit after just 2 years in nursing because they couldn't deal with the psychological stress. And nursing isn't the idealized world that people from the corporate world think that it is.

Not to say there isn't a place for a nurse with a background in accounting (there is the business side of nursing, and your accounting background would be a tremendous asset), but you need to think carefully about what you intend to do when you actually become a nurse.

bugster

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:19 am
Re: Considering nursing
[nursing is an admirable profession, but do not embark on such a career change without your blinders off. nursing is a no rewards (save your own), long hours ('cause if you think you can get all the work done in your "9-5" you must have lost your mind) " this isn't what nursing school told me" profession. So if your accounting background has prepared you for a STAT emergency, with all the Dr. calls and paperwork, and let's not forget the other possible 30+ patients, then i would let my childhood or grandeous dreams of nrsing go by the wayside: unless I had a total devotion to the craft. A NURSE.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Considering nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 11:38:44