Neonatal nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Neonatal nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Jess718

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
Neonatal nursing
I am a student in college. For some time I have wanted to do meteorology. Now I have changed my mind to nursing, particularly infants. I have done several hours of research on this but it seems that I have gotten no where. Can someone please help me? I am confused about what I should do while I am in college. Also, I have heard that I will have to become an RN before I can do neonatal. Is this true? If anyone is working in neonatal, pediatrics or perinatal, can you please explain to me what it is like to work in this area? Anything would be fantastic! Thanks!

nursenikkki

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:08 pm
Yes, I am an RN in a NICU. We don't use CNA's or LPN's in our unit. As far as I know most others don't either. You have to be able to handle heartbreak but yet develop a meaningful relationship with families all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I've dealt with happy situations WAY more than not so happy ones! It's exciting and rewarding, and being in the NICU has taught me to cross train onto OB and pediatrics units, so I have the benefit of always being with children! It's also a great life lesson, because I don't have children yet myself (i'm only 24) and now I know what to expect at what age, toilet training tips...all that wonderful stuff I can use later in life!
Good luck in all you do!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Neonatal nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.28 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 11:58:42