nurses who dont care

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » nurses who dont care

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 08:25 pm
nurses who dont care
i have worked for many many years as a nurse and i have worked with many great nurses and then i had the bullies who thought they knew it all, and mistreated staff. just plain mean, and the same ones talked ugly to the patients. i know alot of the nurses i worked with were only there for the benefits and money. could care less about the patients. i cared for them like they were family, and went the extra mile as they say many times, just to make them happy. they are in a hosp depressed and worried, and in pain they dont need a nurse talking bad to them or being unfeeling. a nurse no matter how she feels should smile when she enters a room and talk to the patients. i also cant stand when someone says they are drug seeking, so he doesn't need the medicine even though it is ordered for that person. this happened to me, this guy had a bad infection and was hurting and the nurse wouldnt give him his percocet cause she felt he was drug seeking. i came on and he told me how bad he hurt, and he looked very uncomfortable. well i got him the medicine and he was so appreciative. where does a nurse get off holding medicine cause she feels a certain way. i am now retired and i miss the patients, but its time i took a rest.

Midnightmoet

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
Agreeing
I am going to be starting the pre rec classes to be able to begin nursing school in FL next year. But have been around enough hospitals and such to understand what you are talking about. There are two types of medical professions (ei, Doctors, nurses, etc.) You have the ones who are purely in it to boost their bank accounts and egos ... then you have the other's who geniunely care about the patients as well as the well being of who they are treating. I plan on being the latter of the two. Honestly when people are in it for nothing more then the money and ego boost then the career path they chose was wrong.

melscott

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:00 am
sadly this is a global issue. since i have been a student nurse so much has changed and not for the better. the nurses just do not care anymore and basic nursing care has gone right out the window. as you said either this is not the profession for them or they have just lost the interest due to other factors.

over here, there are lots of job losses and staff morale is low. they are working every hour they can with hardly any staff and this has lead to some of them not caring but i still think you have to treat your patients and give it 100%.

mclainmeister

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:49 am
Caring
You are right, there are varying degrees of nurses, just as there is diversity in the general public. Associate yourself with the ones that will lift you higher, in spirit and experience. The others are probably just as unhappy at home as they are at work. They may even follow your lead in becoming more positive. You are so right about leaving your biases and preconceived notions about patients at the doorstep. Each patient is a new present to be unwrapped and explored. They each have their own uncertainties and weaknesses. We see them at their worst and they need to know that we support them on their road to recovery. It is tough, though, when patient loads and acuity overwhelm the nurse. You have to tell the charge nurse that you are overwhelmed and need help. Sometimes they don't know unless you tell them. Still, patients come first.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » nurses who dont care
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 08:09:08