Is this Neglect?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is this Neglect?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:37 am
Is this Neglect?
We have a sever dialysis patient at our long term care facility. He is new. He is on a fluid restriction of 1600 a day which he gets with his meals and fluids he gets with his medication. He will demand water I have educated the CNA's that I manage to not give him water. I also would not allow a cup in his room because if one is in there he will go to the sink and fill it up. I know I could not take a cup of water out of his hand if he should do that but is it neglect to not give him a cup of ice. all of our other patients get a cup of ice 3 times a day. I am not concerned about the ice melting and him drinking that but I am concerned about him using the cup and we really would have no record of how much water he has drank. but is it neglect? I worry that if something did happen then my license is on the line . they would say you knew he was on a fluid restriction yet you allowed a cup to be in the room knowing he would use it. What would you all do in this situation. the nurses where I work are divided on this.

toreylynn78

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:38 am
I think a lot depends on his level of competency. If he is able to understand why his fluid is restricted and by how much & this could be proven, you have no liability. Pt's have a right to refuse and it sounds as though he is choosing to refuse to abide by the fluid restriction.

philomina 1

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:40 am
i dont think there is anything for you to worry, you are doing right hting by not giving him waer

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is this Neglect?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:41:47