Should I apply to an Intership Program??? Please Help

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should I apply to an Intership Program??? Please Help

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:42 pm
Should I apply to an Intership Program??? Please Help
Hello everyone Smile I have a problem and I hope you guys can help.

I graduated from my nursing program 6 months ago and I just took my boards Dec "08" I started looking for jobs and so far I've found a few I'm very intrested in. I've applied but still haven't had a response.

During my search I found a position for new grads -- it's an intership program. It's supposed to be a conbination of clinical and classroom experience; you are paired up with a preceptor and you are assigned to the ER, CCU, or Cardiac step down. You are employed FT, paid RN wages, but you need to work for the company for a total of 18months.

I have mixed emotions about this!!!! Confused I think the experience will be great but i don't know if I'm up for the challenge Sad .

Has anyone done an intership program before? did you enjoy it? was it worth it? did you gain anything out of it? please give me insight!!

Also, I've been called for an interview regarding another position I applied for -- which makes matters worse because now I don't know if I should wait for the internship program or go ahead and take the position at the hospital. I know the hospital will only train me for the floor which I applied for and then possibly over time give me an opertunity to advance but...

what should I do? should I say something during the interview? Would it be too much if during the interview I tell them i need a week to figure things out??

Oh, Noooo Sad..........

RNSC

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:51 am
Okay, I'll stick my 2 cents worth in.

First: Congratulations!

Second: Think about what you want to do, where you want to be in 5 and 10 years, what are your interests. I personally like trauma and the ED, others want to hold babies, some want to comfort the dying.

Third: If the internship is in an area you like, such as med-surg or critical care, and you know they cover the areas of your interests and goals, then follow-up with the internship and politely ask when they'll make a decision. An internship, if it rotates through departments, will give you an excellent opportunity to see various units to help your decision of where you'd like to work. It should give you an opportunity as well to gain experience and confidence, which I perceive you are lacking as you are asking for advice from total strangers about a personal decision YOU have to make. I'm not going to advise you what to do, but I'll explain a little to give you additional information for making YOUR decision.

Fourth: In the interview ask the interviewer questions to indicate your interest in the position. But of course, do your research first on the facility and the position. Again, you should know what you like and what you want to do and where you want to be, so ask the interviewer about opportunities for increasing your knowledge and skills. You can either ask the interviewer when they need your decision or you can promise to let them know in 2 days, or by Friday noon, or whatever. Be in a position to decide and let them know in just a few days, and do as you say.

Fifth: Depending on your financial picture, keep looking or remember a bird in the hand...

Good luck!

NurseNewB

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 01:10 pm
RNSC thanks for your insight.

I know it sounds like I'm lacking confidence and that may be true to some extent but I feel the only way I can make a good descision is if I get feed back from experienced nurses, as yourself.

The way I see it, other Nurses who blog or voice their concerns have mentioned how much they struggled their first year -- stuggled with the case load, not understanding what to do, reject from other experienced nurses because of the lack of knowledge we new nurses have.

I love nursing so far and I know it wount be easy but I want to know if someone that's been through a similar situation has found it beneficial.

As for what I want to do... that's just it -- I'm not sure. I found many areas of nursing I enjoy-- Peds, Labor and Delivery, OR but I want to grow as a nurse aswell. I want to help as many people as possible.

Again, thanks for your reply.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should I apply to an Intership Program??? Please Help
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:24:42