Do you even hug patients?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Do you even hug patients?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

vwgirl

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:12 pm
Do you even hug patients?
If I have a patient, or more often, the family member of a dying patient who seems like they need one. I give them a hug. I am a new nurse, and although I have never been critisized for doing this, I have never seen a coworker do it. It seems that most nurses ignore the family, not wanting to be intrusive I think (I don't believe they are uncaring at all). Am I commiting a faux pas here? Are nurses not supposed to hug patients or family?

insain

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 07:15 pm
If their family is open to accepting a hug, then yes... I think it's part of our job (or will be, I'm just a student still) to offer our support in whatever way both parties are comfortable.

We are here for the family just as much as we are here for the patient or client.

JARED2009

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:34 pm
Hugs
There is nothing wrong with giving a hug as long as the patient and the significant others are okay with it. I hold the hands of my patients to relay my willingness to be there for them. Hugging is something I don't do much (just pediatric patients). It is to each nurse's opinion to use whatever methods they feel are helpful or comforting to their patietns. Smile

melscott

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:03 am
there is nothing wrong with comforting a patient esp if they have received bad news but a hug may go a step too far. i have often given patients a hug but i have been careful as to which ones. we have to be careful not to over step the mark.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Do you even hug patients?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:11:59