Help! Is my friend in trouble? procedural/ Bloodborne issue?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Help! Is my friend in trouble? procedural/ Bloodborne issue?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mnm4u

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 08:25 pm
Help! Is my friend in trouble? procedural/ Bloodborne issue?
I work in a small community hospital here in Florida. The other day 4 of us were "on assignment" placing PPD's for the staff. This was a full day event- doing over 200 for the day.

I just found out that my friend apparently made a mistake. She went to inject the serum under the skin and noticed that needle moved out of the skin and consequently did not administer enough. So she withdrew the needle from the skin, then used the same needle to draw up more serum from the multi dose vial- then continued on. Therefore potentially exposing everyone else that follows with some blood borne pathogens-(we all used the same bottle of serum) Is this correct? Do you think she will be disciplined? An incident form was filled out and the hospital admistrators are investigating. Thoughts?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:22 pm
ya what hospital was it so i can avoid it. really incompetent comes to mind.
lets see potnetially infecting what 10 people with hiv, hepatitis.....
of course this has alot of potential of a hoax post as well. since hte city is not listed, poor grammar etc. (thank you snopes for making me paranoid)

mnm4u

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:12 am
HI

I do understand your concerns about it being a hoax.. but let me assure you that this is not! I am just very nervous about even bringing this up in a forum, as I don't know if I should be even mentioning this in "public"- I am just shocked and horrified to find this out myself. I worked with this person and found her to be extremely competent and conscientious

I did not mention the hospital name , city or even state because that is not my purpose of posting the question. This was the first time that I had worked with this particular nurse and was very impressed with everything that had occurred that day. When I received the phone call that this had occurred I was shocked and horrified. This person was so careful with everything she did- wore gloves in between patients, even purelled each time. Explained the procedure to each person, handled the paperwork well, and was very careful to note the lot numbers correctly each time.. etc. In addition we had gotten into discussion at one point about nursing practice and how she has lost friends because she does not tolerate cutting corners ( ie would never give a HBP med without checking a BP first).

So I guess my point of sending this post was several. Obviously I was curious at other nurses reactions but also I wanted to stress that none of us should ever blindly point the finger. If this happened to this person, it can happen to ANY of us- I am still waiting for more details to come out, but I can only imagine this being a momentary mental lapse?? I cannot stop thinking could I have done the same thing??? I assume that her license could be in jeopardy over this and I catch myself siding on both sides of the issue at the same time. I want to jump to her defense but at the same time I keep saying to myself HOW???? Could you do this??!!

SO please, it is not a hoax- I left things as vague as I did, even with the spelling and grammatical mistakes, because legally this is something just playing out. I want to stress that everyone affected by this is being appropriately dealt with.. I just wanted to discuss the other elements of something like this happening. I wanted to wake us all up that in a moment, everything you worked so hard for can come to crashing end.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 08:52 pm
apparently she was not as careful as you thought. first you dont give more of the medicine if "enough" didnt get in. how was she sure it didnt go in? did it all leak out onto the table? if not then she should have redone it. should have recomended a second ppd be done in a week or so. next you never reuse a needle for anything. that is a serious nursing no no that should be simple. sad thing is so many people think someone is good because of how they act around their peers. i doubt she will lose her license over it, unless she is not as innocent as you thought. there are major financila implications for the hospital coming up. only goo side is that i think there is only what 10 doses of ppd in a vial? so potential of 9 lawsuits agaisnt her/hospital.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Help! Is my friend in trouble? procedural/ Bloodborne issue?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:27:44