Night shift

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Night shift

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:35 am
Night shift
As a new graduate nurse what are some helpful tips to get your body adjusted to working night shift?

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 09:08 pm
Re: Night shift
ottm5114 wrote:
As a new graduate nurse what are some helpful tips to get your body adjusted to working night shift?

coffee, and sleeping pills.

stellar 1

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 06:40 am
Don't take prescription sleeping pills, they are addictive. Most of my coworkers take OTC benadryl when they have to work several in a row, but that has its side effects too. They tell you to wear dark wrap around sunglasses on the way home; the sunlight on the retina wakes you up. No coffee for the last hours of your shift. Do not do anything to wake up, like excercise or phone calls. I have the darkest light filtering shades on my windows which I tape to the sill so no light comes in at all. I put rolled towels at the top as well to block the light. Comfortable temperature, a light meal works for me, but I have gained some weight I will admit. You do adjust, but I still have phases where I can't sleep well, but I am sure that happens if you work days too.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
stellar wrote:
Don't take prescription sleeping pills, they are addictive. Most of my coworkers take OTC benadryl when they have to work several in a row, but that has its side effects too. They tell you to wear dark wrap around sunglasses on the way home; the sunlight on the retina wakes you up. No coffee for the last hours of your shift. Do not do anything to wake up, like excercise or phone calls. I have the darkest light filtering shades on my windows which I tape to the sill so no light comes in at all. I put rolled towels at the top as well to block the light. Comfortable temperature, a light meal works for me, but I have gained some weight I will admit. You do adjust, but I still have phases where I can't sleep well, but I am sure that happens if you work days too.

i work day shift now sleep like a baby.
pills are only addictive if you let them become addictive. most sleeping pills are non narcotic so it is more psychological then physical. glasses work well for the drive home because i do get more woken up on the drive home. make your room as dark as possible. put a piece of styrofoam in the window then put a blind over it to make it dark otherwise you wont sleep well. you will get used to be able to drink an entire pot of coffee or drink an entire 2 liter of soda then go to sleep and sleep like a baby Smile

TheresaWaller

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 10:26 pm
new grad sleep
Have you tried journaling about it? Every nurse alive has felt anxiety the day before her/his shift, so much so that sleep is compromised. You're not alone.

But seriously, pen and paper is powerful. I journal daily. I get clear on what my desires are (or anxieties) and then I ask for help with them. I blog about all kinds of nursing stress topics. In fact, nursing nurses is a passion for me.

Don't get into pills...I'm sure you've witnessed what "better living through chemistry" has done to some of your patients. Not worth it! Besides chemicals block your connection to your spiritual source and have too many side effects.

Good luck to you...You're not alone!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Night shift
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 10:07:59