need some advice about getting into nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » need some advice about getting into nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:25 pm
need some advice about getting into nursing
hi everyone, i'm a new member here.

the subject line speaks for itself. i graduated from california state university, long beach with a bachelor's degree in communication in may '08. however, i really only went with that degree because i needed to stick with a major and graduate. i wasted a lot of time taking classes i didn't really need trying to come up with something i wanted to do. now that i've got my degree, i'm not exactly thrilled at my job options. but i'm going off on a tangent.

i've always had a fascination and respect for people in the health field and i'm thinking about getting into nursing, but i really don't know where to start. can someone give me some advice as to what would be the best way to get into the nursing field? i'm a 25 year old guy, and i hear that's going to work in my favor since there are so few men in the field. but i'm wondering, would it be easier to become an LVN/CNA first and then go for being an RN, go for another bachelor's degree and get a BSN? i know there are master's entry programs in nursing as well... i just don't know where to start and i'm ready to stop wasting my time and get going with a career.

i appreciate any help i can get.

abqmalenurse

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
Beginning nursing
I've been an LPN for 14 years. More criticial care experience than 95% of RN's ever have. Yet always told how I'm not qualified for positions because of the letters behind my name.

Simple answer: Do not become an LPN. Go straight for RN.

However, something you can do to gain experience to the medical field is become a PCT/PCA/CNA. This lets you know what it's really like before completing several years of school to find out you don't really care for it after all. Lots of graduate RN's get through school only to last less time in the field than they spent getting their degree. Those would be the ones that think they're going into a white collar job and are going to get rich as soon as they start working. You can make exteremely good money in nursing but you have to do your time in the trenches to get there.

singslikerain

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:09 pm
Go for it!
Just go for the RN. I am an RN, and I have worked with LVN's that could run circles around even the doctors, but unfortunately the letters at the end of your name are what people look at. In my experience LVN's are more in home health and nursing homes. So, either way, you will probably find work, but the RN is where you'll be in specialties, and the like. Just remember, a nurse is a nurse no matter what the degree or lettering. Have fun, and best of luck. (Oh, and P.S. You DEFINITELY have to "do your time in the trenches" but it is worth it)

blankenstein

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 09:36 pm
thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. seeing as how the CNA program at the local community college is only 7 units, i think i'll take abq's advice and do that first and make sure i'm not jumping into something i don't want to get into.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » need some advice about getting into nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:47:30