Specialty Areas

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Specialty Areas

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boo0880

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 04:20 pm
Specialty Areas
I am a student, going to be graduating in May. I work as a CNA in the ED right now and would like to work in a specialty area sooner than later. How much experience do you think a new grad should have and from which area before transitioning into a specialty area like the ICU or ED?

Ginger Snap

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:30 am
Everyone is different, but the standard one year of Med/Surg is still solid advice. You need to get your skills down before you start taking on the harder stuff, where things are being thrown at you in rapid succession.

However, if you feel like you've learned a great deal already in the ER, then there is nothing that says you can't start in the ICU or ER. But you will need to look for a good teaching hospital that has special programs for new grads who want to start their careers in those areas. Where I live, the local University Hospital offers one year internships for new grads in both the ICU and the ER. So start investigating some of these places now, and see if this is something you think you would like to try.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Specialty Areas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:37:14