a distressed nurse who needed advice..

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » a distressed nurse who needed advice..

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:06 pm
a distressed nurse who needed advice..
i just passed the licensure exam this year..i am currently working in a hospital as a volunteer nurse..Ive been here for 3 months..

i wanted to be a nurse, nobody insisted it on me..I always wanted to care for the sick..but the problem is that I think the nursing profession is not suitable for me.. i am very poor in skills.. i know the theory by heart but whenever Im doing a certain procedure, like IV, NGT etc, I always get nervous and ending up messing the job.. i always cried because of this matter.. other nurses are trying to lift up my spirit by saying im just new and I will definitely improve, but I can see other nurses who are newer than me and yet they can perform the procedures smoothly..i admit im inept but i really wanted to be a nurse..

i think general hospital acute and trauma is not for me..is there other area that will be suitable for me?tnx..

travel3

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 08:00 pm
I hope you don't give up. You might want to focus on treatment for you anxiety. Or, try working in the ambulatory care, MD office or home care field until you develop more self confidence with your clinical skills. It is difficult enough to get through a nursing program. So, obviously, you are an initelligent person. Learn to believe in yourself. I have been a nurse for 25 years. Seen and done it all. Observed many of my peers in action. I know you can do this-now you just have to believe it. I wish yo the best.

peachy13rn

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
Noelle, don't give up. Some nurses just take a little longer to hone their skills, but that does not make you a bad or incompetent nurse. Go to work every day with a positive attitude....you CAN do it. You just have to tell yourself that every day. And your co-workers can either make or break you. If you have a really good preceptor or someone who is training you, then that makes a world of difference. Nurses are bred to be tough but compassionate......one day at a time with a deep breath. Don't let lack of confidence deter you. HANG IN THERE GIRL!!! I felt the same way when i started nursing 10 years ago!

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:44 pm
Re: a distressed nurse who needed advice..
noelleRN wrote:
i just passed the licensure exam this year..i am currently working in a hospital as a volunteer nurse..Ive been here for 3 months..

i wanted to be a nurse, nobody insisted it on me..I always wanted to care for the sick..but the problem is that I think the nursing profession is not suitable for me.. i am very poor in skills.. i know the theory by heart but whenever Im doing a certain procedure, like IV, NGT etc, I always get nervous and ending up messing the job.. i always cried because of this matter.. other nurses are trying to lift up my spirit by saying im just new and I will definitely improve, but I can see other nurses who are newer than me and yet they can perform the procedures smoothly..i admit im inept but i really wanted to be a nurse..

i think general hospital acute and trauma is not for me..is there other area that will be suitable for me?tnx..

quote that helped me get through the first year of nursing on my own "despite your best efforts your patient will survive the day"

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » a distressed nurse who needed advice..
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 09:34:22