ADN- BSN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ADN- BSN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:37 am
ADN- BSN
I currently have a Master's degree in nutrition. As an undergraduate I took most of the prerequsites courses nursing students take. I plan on getting an ASN because it will be cheaper. I have seen on the forum that there is less likely chance for advancement with an ADN. With the masters and bachelors degree in nutrition will it be necessary for me to get a BSN?

blondieRN

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 10:06 am
I think an ADN would be sufficient for you. There are a lot of misconceptions about ADN vs. BSN related to advancement. It's all about how you sell yourself. Both my assistant nurse manager and nurse manager have only an ADN. There are many possibilities for you and any hospital that hires you could utilize your prior knowledge to their advantage for things such as diabetes teaching and dietary teaching related to medications. Good Luck.

Arirose

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2008 11:48 pm
Nursing education
You may not need a BSN for advancement in certain areas of nursing but it certainly wont hurt! The important question is... what area of nursing are you interested in? Some will prefer a BSN to start. Some BSN programs will give you advanced placement status if you already hold another degree. Have you thought about an accelerated MSN? You would be a great candidate for one of the accelerated programs. There are many choices for nursing education, especially since you already hold a degree. So look at all of your options before making a choice. Good Luck!

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:03 am
blondieRN wrote:
I think an ADN would be sufficient for you. There are a lot of misconceptions about ADN vs. BSN related to advancement. It's all about how you sell yourself. Both my assistant nurse manager and nurse manager have only an ADN. There are many possibilities for you and any hospital that hires you could utilize your prior knowledge to their advantage for things such as diabetes teaching and dietary teaching related to medications. Good Luck.

this biggest misconception about adn/bsn comes from bsn instructors selling it to their students why they need the extra 2 years of college. it is not necessary at all. i can tell you of atleast 15 nurse managers of the 17 hospitals i have worked at they were all adn's other 2 were msn's
its all up to you and your work ethic on what you become. my brother is an lpn and was an adminsitrator.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ADN- BSN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 08:54:25