Starting Pay

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Starting Pay

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
Starting Pay
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some information about starting nursing salaries around the US. I will graduate from an ABSN program in NC and am curious as to what to expect upon graduation. I really appreciate answers to the following questions:

What is starting pay in your location (and where is that location)?
What are the night/weekend differentials?
Does pay vary between associate degree and bachelors degree nurses?
Does pay vary depending on what area of the hospital you work in?
How quickly can you move up?
Are you allowed to work more than 3/12hr shifts, if so how much is allowed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 09:35 pm
ADN 21.00 an hour in 2006 spring hill florida

if you are lucky a BSN will get you a whole quarter an hour more.
pay scales are mostly the same in the hospital although some do base it off of were you work verse exp.
if you are allowed overtime depends on the hospital. one i wokred at would not allow a nurse more then 4 12s a week for patient safety

peachy13rn

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
Pay depends on where you work. The Southeast and eastern regions are the worst paying in the US. The west coast pays the best, plus a lot of hospitals on the west coast are Union, so there are some benefits to that aspect. I worked in the South in Georgia for 10 years and was only making about $28.00 an hour after all that time. I worked in an ER and at that hospital, there was no extra pay for ER skills. Some hospitals give you extra pay for your certifications, such as ACLS, PALS, etc. Mine didn't. Usually, you will have no problem at all picking up extra shifts. Nurses seem to be a dying breed. Also, be sure to find out if the hospital requires CALL hours in addition to your normal shift; and/or if they have weekend-only option. Smile

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:30 pm
peachy13rn wrote:
Pay depends on where you work. The Southeast and eastern regions are the worst paying in the US. The west coast pays the best, plus a lot of hospitals on the west coast are Union, so there are some benefits to that aspect. I worked in the South in Georgia for 10 years and was only making about $28.00 an hour after all that time. I worked in an ER and at that hospital, there was no extra pay for ER skills. Some hospitals give you extra pay for your certifications, such as ACLS, PALS, etc. Mine didn't. Usually, you will have no problem at all picking up extra shifts. Nurses seem to be a dying breed. Also, be sure to find out if the hospital requires CALL hours in addition to your normal shift; and/or if they have weekend-only option. Smile

i disagree starting pay was higher in 2006 in florida then it was in 2008 in bremerton washington.
unions dont do anything for you. every hospital i have worked at gives better benefits then the union ones. also you cant "sell" yourself for higher pay in a union hospital. they take away marketability.
in florida you got 1% of base pay for acls, pals, aacrn, tncc etc.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Starting Pay
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:08:46