Please-all experienced RN's reply to my question.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Please-all experienced RN's reply to my question.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:39 am
Please-all experienced RN's reply to my question.
I am a new nurse that obtained a job in the nursing float pool. I work 11-7. B/c I am a new nurse-I will be floating between med surg, ortho, and sub acute (less critical) for six months before going to other areas of the hospital. This is my problem-I've been off orientation for a couple of weeks but because of low cencus-have been doing CNA work or one to one's (boring) This week has been my first, real nursing experiences and I have sooo many questions. I've asked at work and everyone has a different answer. Management is out-they have no REAL policies in place to help me. I'm turning to the experienced RN's and I could really use some good replies. Keep in mind I work nights (many on call MD'S)
1.) Do you call the MD for every panic lab level. For example-it was panic yesterday and the MD put in orders to take care of it such as fluid restriction for low Na+. It has come up today (4) but is still panic. Pt is asymptomatic.
2.) What do you pass on to the next shift. Some nurses will pick up where you left off, some are not so nice about things you leave for them.
3.) If you are in the middle of your shift assessments and you get an admission-do you continue to see the pt's or immediately address the admission.
4.) Do you call on call MD's in the middle of the night with all abnormals or just major one's. For example-I was chastised for not calling in a slightly abnormal UA (few bacteria and small WBC's in a symptomatic and yet-annoying hypochondriac pt) She had just finished a series of ATB's for UTI, drank huge amounts of fluid, and had clear, yellow, norm smelling urine. Afebrile-the works. Ultimately-I passed it on to the day shift to call the results in and they were irritated to say the least. On a positive note-the MD did not end up treating. Smile
5.) If tele reports new problems (PVC's PAC's or Afib) in an asymptomatic pt that had triple bypass-would you call the oncall cardiologist?

Any other advice would be great. I know my biggest feat is my organization and the fact that if the pt's want to talk-I talk. I do not rush anyone and this seems to get me farther behind then my peers. Unfortunately-I'm too interested in what they have to say and....I like to get acquanted with the people I take care of (I was told this in one of my faults) On the other hand, I feel I do have common sense but get yelled at by the nurse following me b/c I didn't wake an on call (surgeon no less) at 3am for a slightly abnormal UA

TeleNurseboy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:35 pm
if it is an improving lab that was much worse ie a K level that was 2.5 but after 40meq of kcl it is now 3.1 no. now if it was getting worse yes. if it si the first time that it came back as a panic or critical yes. otherwise no.

pass on everything pertenent. alot i can figure out my self. i dont really care that it was a 22 gauge inserted in teh rfa on the first shot with good blood return. does he have an iv yes. good enough for me. other things taht can help from keeping from calling the doctor, like the doc knows his potassium is only 2.5 but didnt order anything. that way i dont see it and wonder why it wasnt called and then call the doc again and get my butt chewed out.

what i do about admission in mid shift is go say high see if there is anyhting they need. look for any stat orders and make sure there diet is ordered then i go to whatever is most important. like if it was middle of med pass time i go finish then go back to do the assessment. now if the pt coming to floor is critical or vs are out of whack then they get first priorty. all about learning to see what is important which comes with time.

calling md in middle of night about abnormals depends on teh abnormal and how abnormal again. i would not call an abnormal ua. i would put it on the front of the chart and leave it for him to see when they get there. now an newly abnormal potassium level or a elevated troponin level yes call them its your ass.

last one if pt is asymptomaitc no dont call for pvc's everyone has them form time to time. a new afib yes call. a run of svt yes call, if they are sinus then go to trigem or bigem and stay that way yes call. but a simple pvc no.

tell the nurse that wanted you to call a ua ask how long do you think it takes for a pt to develop one? think it is atleast a few days? what would 4 more hours hurt. unless the pt is septic, but i would hope to god that the er doc picked up on that.

biggest thing is it takes time to learn the shortcuts of nursing. what will get you in trouble and what will not. listen to what other nurses say and take it with a grain of salt. biggest thing is that nurses forget that they were the new nurse at one time and can treat new grads like crap. find a good nurse as a mentor and ask if it is ok to ask them questions. i still get calls from nurses i have oriented after graduation and i dont even work at the same hospital anymore.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Please-all experienced RN's reply to my question.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 11:19:06