graduate nurse....specialty vs. med-surg

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » graduate nurse....specialty vs. med-surg

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 08:18 pm
graduate nurse....specialty vs. med-surg
I am a graduate nurse and not interested in the medical surgical portion of nursing and never desire to work in that area. Comming from someone with experience would you still recommend working in that area to get experience before moving on to a specialty area?

KarolMLPN

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:45 am
absolutely!
The Med/Surg area is not just surgery related.... there is almost every diagnosis down the line that comes on that floor. It is best to get a feel for all areas of nursing... I have been a nurse for 20 years and still remember the first year of floor nursing at the hospital. As a "new" nurse I was niave and many times I ended up doing more than my share....but the plus side of that is that I learned!! OJT to the hilt. Whenever the nurse manager was scavaging around for someone to pull to another unit there I was with my hand up. The other nurses always wanted to stay within their comfort zones, but I learned quickly that being pulled to the other units gave you valuable experiences. I soon was being pulled to critical care, ER, ortho etc... I enjoyed every minute.. I soon had more experience than the RN's on the med/surg unit that were there for years! I

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:00 am
i never worked on med surge. i started out on tele then went all over as karol did. i worked in icu, ccu, pcu, nicu, but never worked as a m/s nurse. m/s is in all aspects of nursing. you work in icu and learn how to do m/s as well. it is not necessary to go there first i know 100's of nurses taht have never worked on a m/s floor.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » graduate nurse....specialty vs. med-surg
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:25:37