Having to talk to the Docs....AHHHH Help!!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Having to talk to the Docs....AHHHH Help!!!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 10:41 pm
Having to talk to the Docs....AHHHH Help!!!!
So i am just about to graduate from nursing school and am so nervous about having to to call and talk to the doctors....any advice?!?!?!?

ImmuneNurse

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:37 pm
Look for info on SBAR communication. This is wonderful way to communicate. I have a one page handout but do not see how I can attach here. One site that I know has it is www.qualitynet.org they are some kind of best practices site with lots of good handouts and teaching material.

KatieRNWisconsin

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:00 am
SBAR
Sorry-I disagree. So many doctors want the NEED TO KNOW. It's going to take a while for you to know exactly what this is going to be. It depends on the doctor and the problem. Small problem-little info. Big problem-get to the point quickly. MOST physicians are not interested in what you think he/she should do (this is part of SBAR-recommend) Most doctors are offended if you think you know better because basically, some MD's prefer to think they know more than the RN's and like to stroke the ego with an original dx/order. I have asked and/or recommended in the past and gotten lectured and/or yelled at. Especially working the night shift when most are sleeping when I call. Feel out if they know the pt, if they do-give the facts/abnormals from baseline. If they don't know the pt-state what the baseline was and what it is now. Most importantly-do not forget to assess, based on the problem, before you call. EG-if it's a cardiac problem-do a full cardiac assessment w/VS. Know the cardiac drugs they are taking and check any recent cardiac related labs. Most MD's will know this pt but if it's an oncall-they WILL ASK so be prepared. I've always gotten a sick feeling in my stomach when I've got an MD on the phone at 3am and I'm not prepared. It takes time but you'll get it

TeleNurseboy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:42 pm
best advice always grab the chart before the phone and start loggin on the computer.
next give the doc some info ie calling about mrs smith she is your ams/overdose.... then they are like ahhh yes mrs smith what is wrong.
then say well she is hallucinating bad and wee need something to calm down can we give her haldol or ativan (always give them a choice Smile ) then they sure go ahead give both try haldol if that doesnt work then try ativan thus 90% of time saving yourself a secodn call for the ativan when the haldol doesnt work right away Smile you leanr tricks as you work trust me. i used to call all the time and docs would get pissed but i would gently remind them that they should not have went to med school if they didnt want to get called about their patients in the middle of the night (yes i did get called in the manager office alot so remember that Smile)

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Having to talk to the Docs....AHHHH Help!!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:26:48