Feedback needed!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Feedback needed!!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

care4U

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:12 pm
Feedback needed!!!
At the local hospital I work at we have a department called the float pool that consists of a group of RNs, CNAs, and hospital secretaries. During the day, these people can be moved from department to department to help meet the needs are staff. They can work in ICU, ER, medical units, surgical units, pediatrics, L & D, post partum, NICU, psych units, etc... Currently they are not hiring new graduate nurses. I currently work here as a CNA and I graduate as an RN in December and I'l love to work in this department but they tell I can't cause I'm a "new nurse". Some people think they should hire new grads and some people don't. I'd like some input on what you think and some of your reasoning behind why you think that... Thanks to all that reply

chalkie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:55 pm
I have done this type of work and i do feel that you need to be an experience nurse with good all round knowledge to work effectively. I recently worked with a nurse who had been qualified 3 years and when she came to us and was moved around, she was like a fish out of water as she had only her training experience in some of he areas to fall back on which is not enough. Ufortunately she was 'let go'.

So just my humble opinion, you should be an all round experienced nurse to work in this kind of position.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:11 pm
the reason why is this. when you dont know all the ins and outs of nursing it is not good to be sent all over to areas that you have no experience in. yes you are cna but it is no where near the experience needed to be a nurse in float pool. think of a travel nurse do you think that they should be able to travel straight out of school or have a bit of experience first.

care4U

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:06 pm
what about if for the first year or so a new grad is just trained on med-surg floors so they can get comfortable with organization and prioritazition?

ImmuneNurse

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:43 pm
Care4u, I agree with new grads not floating. My reasons are thus: the time from graduation to competence takes support, mentoring, and monitoring. There is a slight disconnect between classroom and acutal practice. Even though nursing clincials gives you some experience it is not enough for you to practice safely. Just the idea makes me scared. There is so much you don't know. Don't rush it. There will be plenty of time for all the choices of employement that are out there. I have worked with new grads and transitioning nurses( those that are in a new area). It is easy to make a mistake without stability and support. Use the time to familiarize yourself with your area of practice, facility policies, and standards of care to ensure you will be ready for those other opportunites in just a bit. Good luck to you in the future.

care4U

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm
Even at a smaller hospital where i have a lot of people that are able to help me...???

ImmuneNurse

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
Floating and new grad question
Well, it depends then. Will the people around you have the time to assist you and be aware that you are a new grad? In my experience when floating it is because they are short-staffeed that day. So, it could put iyou n a situation you are not ready for and believe me no one will have much mercy after something has gone wrong. Look at the Nurse Practice Act in your state for some guidance also. In our state NPA it states that new grads hould not be floated or left on a unit with an experienced nurse that is willing and availble to mentor him/her.

care4U

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:24 pm
Transitioning from CNA to RN at the same location.
I think it really depends on the day. I've worked there as a CNA for 3 years so I've built up a relationship with them. I'm having a hard time with delegation, i think because I am a CNA there already...any pointers for how to delegate appropriately, especially to some "possibly hostile" nurses that are a little erked that I'm not a CNA anymore

TeleNurseboy

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 08:26 pm
Re: Transitioning from CNA to RN at the same location.
care4U wrote:
I think it really depends on the day. I've worked there as a CNA for 3 years so I've built up a relationship with them. I'm having a hard time with delegation, i think because I am a CNA there already...any pointers for how to delegate appropriately, especially to some "possibly hostile" nurses that are a little erked that I'm not a CNA anymore

tell them youll be glad to help them once you have done your work. normally gets the idea across.

KatieRNWisconsin

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:14 am
Float Pool
I am a new nurse and I was hired directly into the float pool and I have been working in this position for three months (only one not in orientation) I can tell you I AM SOOOO OVERWHELMED!! and while I know that it will get better over time and that I will enjoy it after I obtain some experience, life really sucks right now. This is my dream job, don't get me wrong! I would never want to work on the same floor day in and day out. However, my original idea was that I would work on med surg for a year or so and then transition into floating. It was dumb luck that when I interviewed with HR for med surg, a float pool position had magically opened (they are harder to come by at my hospital). I had told HR that float pool was my ultimate goal and she urged me to interview with the manager of floaters as well as med surg. When I interviewed for float, the manager blatantly told me they don't hire ADN's and they don't hire new nurses (I left thinking I had wasted my time) Two days later, I got the call that I was offered the job and found out later that I possess exceptional interviewing skills. I had beaten out a couple of BSN's, one with experience. You can't imagine my delite. Unfortunately, every day is a struggle and, like I said-I know it's for the greater good but....if I had to do it all over again-I may have chose differently (PS-I was offered the med surg position as well)

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Feedback needed!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:18:01