1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Student Nurse Posing as RN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HVAC

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm
Student Nurse Posing as RN
Hello all:

A health care agency I know of, employs a woman who is not an RN. She pretends to be an RN to the clients, allowing family and clients to believe she is already licensed. The reality is, she is a student nurse who is enrolled to start an accelerated 12-month degree program.

Not everyone is comfortable with her billing, diagnosing and treating clients as a student RN. She does catheters, dispenses meds, orders meds from doctors, etc---she deals in all ways as a true RN. She acts in some respects as a nurse manager--but always putting down RNs in an insulting way.

Her boss doesn't think there's anything wrong with this, and is happy she's making tons of money for him with billable RN-visits, since he doesn't have to compensate her as an RN. He is very impressed with her skills and always saying how she knows as much as any 'real' RN out there--even more! (Of course: Who besides her is telling him that? He has nothing else to base it on.)

This gal is a wannabe who didn't want to wait, and I am not sure if what she's doing is legal or illegal. At the least her coworkers feel it's unethical, and it weighs greatly on their consciences, especially because she really is a bad nurse in many ways (not following up on clients, no empathy or compassion, disinterested in treatment, doesn't know basics, etc).
In my opinion, it speaks volumes about her lack of respect for the position by her willingness to cheat the rules, and jeopardize patient health.

I also should mention she signed off on insurance documents using another RN's license and name a few times and I don't think that's right.

I told them I would find a forum of professionals to ask about this. Thanks in advance.

Thoughts? Comments? Please advise.

LPN08

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:41 pm
well dear number 1 if she doesn't has a lic she can't do what she is doing you can call or go online to the borad of health professional where you are and do an anymous complaint on her if she is enrolled well she can go to school but she well nevr get lic. #2 she is also commiting insur. fraud for what she is doing you can also do the same kind of complaint to medicare and they well do an aduit and have her little butt fired and then the procute her. you need to make sure you keep acurate record of what you do along w/ copies that she can't tamper with so that if anything goes down you are in the clear and if yu have a lic then you need to report this b/c you can lose your lic.

HVAC

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:02 pm
Thanks for that info.

I would like a few more input from others. Hope some will take time to explain.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 10:54 pm
i would agree to report her as well. you can report it to any state board i am sure the will investigate right away. a person w/o a liscense can not dispense meds (unless they med tech or whatever its called) they can not bill as an RN or even pretend to be an RN. i would try to get her on tape saying it that way there is no denying it. may sound hard but i would not want this person taking care of anyone that she is not supposed to. she is knowing braking the law and needs to be reported.
call medicare fraud hotline. what your boss is doing is committing fraud. he is knowing doing it as well. i am sure there will be jail time/heavy fines involved.
here is medicare fraud page. http://www.medicare.gov/fraudabuse/HowToReport.asp

HVAC

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:30 am
Thanks for the additional advice. I appreciate your willingness to come forward to discuss it. As I've noticed, few nurses want to even discuss an issue like this. I don't get the "loyalty" to a fake nurse, who could be jeopardizing the health and even lives, of people.

This gal bills time as an RN, but it is all private, nothing through Medicare. She does IVs and catheters, and wears an ID badge stating she's a nurse.

jhaydon

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:10 pm
I couldn't resist posting a reply to this...I am in shock that someone is actually doing that!

Although I am not a licensed Rn or anything, my dad is head of the ICU at a large hospital and my step-mom is also a RN. When I brought this up to them they were shocked as well and while we all agreed that you should do something about it, but my dad made a very interseting point...

You have to consider what this could do to the health care agency that is employing her. It is possible that this could get very serious and there is a chance that this could effect the whole agency; including the other licensed RNs who work there. If this goes far enough, the whole agency's reputation could be ruined. Even worse, the employee's jobs could be lost.

My advice to you:
First of all, keep in mind the saying, "strength in numbers!" You had said this was an agency you knew of so I am not sure if you work there or not, but either way it is always a good idea to have others on your side. (you want to make sure this doesn't in some crazy way backfire on you).
Secondly, this whole situation could potentially be resolved without involving the law. If you can in some way, anonymously, get a letter or e-mail or something to the "fake RN" and give her some kind of warning. Give her the oppertunity to do the right thing first. Let her know that several people know what she is doing and think its very wrong and find it morally disturbing. Tell her that if she does not resign from her job on her own, and stop doing any medical procedures that she is not licensed to do, that you (and others) will take this into legal matters. Also explain to her the consequences that could follow if she decides not to, so she knows how serious the matter is. If that goes well she may do the right thing after all.

If she refuses, just use caution with how you bring this to the attention of legal personel. Make sure you have all your facts right. You don't want to be accusing someone if you don't know the whole truth. Also, make sure you know what could happen to others at the agency (and maybe even yourself) and find out how to protect the other employees that were not involved. Maybe even talk to a lawyer???

Hope this helped, sorry i got a little carried away!!

Good Luck!

KatieRNWisconsin

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:18 am
Posers
Call the state. This will immediately be taken care of. No problem. Interestingly enough, my cousin's wife is a CNA at a local hospital. I am an RN and worked very hard for my license. She has been posing FOR YEARS to our family as a nurse and most don't have the "know all" to differentiate. Trust me-after all the work/struggle I went though to become an RN-I correct them at every chance. Obviously the hospital knows she's a CNA and she doesn't pose to them, but it still irks me.

TeleNurseboy

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 08:38 pm
it doesnt matter if she is billing medicare or not. if that agency deals with anything medicare, ie other patients that a real nurse takes care of, they are still reportable to medicare. if nothign else it is insurance fraud, and practicing w/o a license.

HVAC

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 08:57 pm
Thank you for all the advice and insight.

I have heard from enough people to know that this is not ok to do.

I am going to talk to the fake RN and let her know if it doesn't stop, I'm going to be reporting it.

HVAC

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 11:59 pm
Just to follow up on this situation:

There are no other licensed nurses who work for the agency in any nursing capacity.

What happens when a client dies because "fake nurse" doesn't recognize signs and symptoms of an illness or injury? Maybe it's already happened..!

What kind of liability is this posing for the agency, when it eventually comes to light? Everyone involved will be lucky to avoid jail....not to mention the lawsuits that will bankrupt them.

I'm a little surprised that nobody mentioned this aspect. I guess in this day and age, people just expect to be lied to, and if someone dies--don't be surprised.

I now find myself asking for proof in all kinds of situations where licensing is required.

HVAC

JARED2009

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:38 pm
A disappointing news
Something like this should be reported to the proper authorities because the person is doing something that she is not licensed to do. In my place, we have nursing attendants who are far more skillful than the nurses but that does not warrant them to perform the duties of the nurse. They know that they can become liable for doing such activities.

I hope that you look into this and that proper judgment will be imposed.

Cheers!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Student Nurse Posing as RN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:45:12