just a wee question....

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » just a wee question....

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm
just a wee question....
I am going to a nursing home for one of my COE placements. I previously had worked in a nursing home for three years as a carer, my concern is that I fear I will be used as a care assistant.

I understand that I will need to take on chores that care assistants do as these are basic nursing skills, however I fear this particular nursing home will have me act as a care assistant on a perminant basis rather than shadow the staff nurse on her rounds.

Can anyone offer me any advice on my position?

Ginger Snap

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:32 pm
Well, that would be a waste of time, since you need to learn what the nurses do, not the CNAs.

If you are uncomfortable with being placed in this particular facility, then see if you can be placed somewhere else. If not, then discuss your concerns with your instructor.

LisaRN

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:24 pm
if you are going to a facility due to school, that facility isnt responsible for you. They can not make you work. You are there for a specific purpose and are not employed by that facility....

so, go there and do what you are there to do, and no more...unless you are actually helping a nurse.

LisaRN

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:42 pm
Chances are you will be assigned to a nurse - proctor who you will be with for your tour. If not, ask the licensed nurses to assist you in meeting your goals. RN or LPN doesnt matter at this point in your training.

But, always remember...none of us are above answering lights, wiping butts and toting bedpans. It is called fundamental care.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » just a wee question....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:47:14