1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Vein light

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Law Guy

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
Vein light
Hi all,

I'm not a nurse, but need help with a problem I have.

I am a Crohns patient who gets Remicade every 6 weeks. My problem is that I have horrible veins and always have. Usually this means that whenever an IV needs to get started, I have to get stuck 4+ times (so far the record was 7 times). Every time I get stuck, they usually have to dig around a bit trying to get the needle to "thread" (if that's the right word).

Often times they'll eventually give up an call somebody from anesthesia to get an IV started. Coincidentally, my uncle is the head of anesthesia, but that doesn't seem to help much. Usually anesthesia is swamped and can't send anybody so they tell the nurses to just keep trying.

I am willing at this point to invest in some type of portable device that would help the nurses find a suitable vein. I hear they're called "vein lights". The nurses in outpatient where I go tell me they have them in the pre-op area, but that outpatient doesn't have any.

So I'm just willing to buy one and bring it in every time I go to get Remicade, or when I am hospitalized with Crohns related problems (absess, partial obstruction, etc.) and know that they'll need to start an IV on me for fluids and medications.

What is the best device for this, and where do I buy one? I realize I may not be able to personally buy one probably for legal reasons, but my father is a doctor and he told me just to find out what to buy, and he'd get it through his office.

Any help you can offer in this is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited to add - this just needs to be able to find a vein good enough for a 24 gauge needle as that's what they always use with me.

Born2RunRN

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:42 pm
Hi! Sorry to hear of the difficulties that you are having. I have used these vein finders before, but the problem that poses for you is that any of them that i have used are most definitely NOT portable. These things are huge and would not even fit into an auto.

Personally, I have never seen one that would be able to be portable nor do I know if they even exist.

Have you thought about having an implantable port a cath inserted? It is a bit unsightly as it is surgically implanted in your chest, therefore would be noticeable, but would only have to be accessed every 6 weeks for your treatment and any occasion that you are in the hospital for complications only. When not accessed, it is still noticeable on your chest, but only as a raised bump that is actually quite small.

I realize this is an added surgery you probably won't want, but in the long run, the benefits outweigh the risks of surgery. I can honestly say that if I were in your position, I personally would opt to have that done.

Hope that helped in some small way. Good luck.

SusanF37

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 02:46 am
vein light
Google vein lights/vein finders, etc, and concentrate on pediatrics. I work in peds with a nurse who bought one online. I just looked it up, and it costs about $195. Kinda expensive for just every once in a while, but it may save you lots of pain! Good Luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Vein light
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:02:23