ADN vs BSN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ADN vs BSN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:05 am
ADN vs BSN
I am graduating in May with an ADN how important is it that I finish with a BSN?

RN Recruiter

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:18 pm
I have seen many studies on the financial differences between nurses who have their associates versus their bachelor's degrees. Some hospitals have a small pay increase for a BSN, but it is not usually a requirement. Furthermore, some management postions require a BSN.

It is realistic to think that if you were competing for a positon with another nurse that has more education than you, that the other nurse may have an edge on you. But realistically, your experience, references and your personality/work ethic mean more than anything else.

If you pursue a BSN, it should be to satisfy your own quest for knowledge. The financial implications will be minimal.

RN2Be

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:48 am
There is a difference. And if you do not get your BSN, I will drive, fly whatever, to Florida to kick your little Idaho butt! Love from fellow nursing student.

malenurse

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
Can you explain why your so passionate about getting a BSN? Just curious...

Ginger Snap

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:43 am
Maybe RN2bE can't, but I can:

Depends on what you mean by "Job Opportunities". If you just want a simple RN job in an acute care, long-term care facility, or in home health, then it really doesn't matter. But if you would like to keep as many options open to you as possible, then the BSN is going to serve you better in the long run.

I've been both an ADN and BSN. Since I got my BSN, I've worked in far more interesting jobs that have offered me the benefit of seeing how our entire healthcare system functions. I've also done things like work on producing the databases that comprise the PDR. If I were ever to want to teach or become an Advance Practice Nurse, then a BSN would put me much closer to achieving that goal (since a Master's is usually required for these positions).

LisaRN

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:42 pm
I have my ADN/ASN. For me, this has always been adequate, but I've never had aspirations of going higher than a staff RN.

If you want to go into higher management, specializing in a certain field, or teaching, then you will need your BSN.

In my area, there is no pay difference between an ADN and BSN...
in some areas it might be.

It's worth looking into, especially if you want to go higher into Nursing..

LisaRN

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:30 pm
I am a graduate of a 3 year hospital diploma program (no I did not serve with Flossie in the Crimea) and have never had any difficulties finding enployment at the "bedside" or as a charge or shift supervisor.

BUT if you wish to advance to management or turn to nursing education a BSN is your best route.

NJP RN

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
Question on ADN
I'm going to start the associates degree registered nurse program in August of 2007. Though I'm excited, I've heard a lot of talk about the associates degree being done away with because of changes that would require all newly hired nurses to possess a BSN. I don't know how soon this would take place but I'm worried I may not even have a job in 2 1/2 years from now. Can anyone clearify this for me? Any information would be much appreciated.

joyandlight

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:56 pm
BSN for me
I have my BSN. I am an older nurse but a new nurse, graduated 3 years ago. My plans were to get experience, have my youngest graduate HS and then travel. Since my goal was always travel, I decided on a BSN so I can travel inside and out of US. Most places like Virgin Islands, Australia, New Zealand, etc. will only aloow a BSN. Plus it is easier to get travel assignments if you are a BSN.
In reality, I see no difference in ADN vs BSN. My hospital does not pay a differential for BSN nor does it distinguish charge RN's, ADN or BSN. So my darling, it really depends on what you want for you. If you want to travel in the future, or teach, you need to have at least a BSN if not a Master's and then BSN is first step. However BSN programs are generally much more expensive.
Good luck in wharever you choose. Being a nurse is awesome!

djz05

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
i just got my degree as a BSN, but i havent taken the nclex exam yet. I studied overseas to save up on school fees so now im quite clueless about these LPN/ADN stuff.

whats an:
LPN
ADN
RN (im guessing RNs passed the NCLEX exam and have a BSN degree)

thanks for any info. Smile

brocantes

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
BSN?
You would think with the nursing shortage, doing away with ADN's wouldn't even be discussed. Anyway, it was being thought about when I graduated (1983) and it hasn't happened yet! It depends on where you want to go with your career such as CRNA, teaching, DON, etc. in which you would need a BSN. I had planned on going to CRNA school but discovered that I hate surgery. Instead I went into critical-care nursing, then supervising and now own a staffing agency.

rascal

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:09 pm
with pre-requits out of the way, and i am on the waiting list to be RN trained.....with an associates coming at graduation.......
do I need a BSN in the future to work near the kids?
it is in my heart to be a pediatric RN. to be around the children, trying to be a source of help there, for parents and the kids.
just looking ahead.....
thank you
and I thank every nurse for your daily sacrifices that you make, and the help you offer each person. just a voice shouting out a huge Thank you
rascal

yoyo 1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 03:56 pm
I am an RN working full time.I want to have BSN on line.Does anyone has any idea how long does it take ?how many subjects or credits and the cost to complete BSN.I live in TUlsa -Oklahoma.Does any BSN on line? How is it? IS it harder than in the class room.Thank you in advance to answer many questions

javajess

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 09:37 pm
Rascal,
Don't know what nursing is like in Ohio, but I assume it is like any area. There is a nursing shortage.... That means we nurses have alot more options. Work as an ADN for a while before worring about your BSN. Have some fun, get a feel for what nursing is like. A BSN will come in time if you need it. While you are awaiting school now, and if possible while you are in school, look for a nursing assistant position on a pediatric unit. You may have to get a CNA certification, or wait until you have completed the 1st semester of nursing school. But once you have your foot in the door, you may be able to convince the director of that department to hire you on as a new grad! Otherwise, work med-surg for a year or two when you graduate, then apply to the pediatric unit. ADN nurses work on pediatric floors, ICUs, ERs, everywhere!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ADN vs BSN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:26:04