Trying to find the right degree choice...

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Trying to find the right degree choice...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:47 pm
Trying to find the right degree choice...
I am a high school student and am trying to see what would be the best degree type for a nursing career. I've heard that there is not really a difference in having a assoiciates degree other than a bachelors degree. I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting an associates degree and what would be a better decision.

Thanks

jonny0000

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:15 am
I have the same problems, I have been working in a nurisng home since I was old enough, and find the work rewarding. I would like to go into mental heath nursing, but am unsure where to start looking. I was looking for the area between taunton and Gloucester ideally.

Sorry to hijack the thread but though our needs were very simialr

jrviger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:56 am
Getting your BSN will save you time when you decide to move on from bedside nursing. I know, I know, there are many nurses out there who just want to make a career of bedside nursing and that's perfectly OK. However, after a few years many of us start feeling like we could contribute more and facilitate change more readily as a nursing manager, instructor or as an NP/CNS etc. For most of these 'higher level' nursing positions you will need at least a BSN if not an MSN degree. Of course, it's up to you and depends on which programs are available to you in your area. It's often easier to get into an ADN program; why wait to get started on your nursing career if you don't have to, right?

Good luck!

TeleNurseboy

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:29 pm
a bsn in not necessary for having a higher nursing job such as a manager. most of my nurse managers have had their adn and buisness bachleors or masters degree. just to be a nurse manager only a ADN is necessary that and many years of experience.

sheilalean

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:12 am
Nursing degree
By getting a BSN from the start, you will have a "leg up" on nurses with Associate's degrees. If you have any interest in attending college and taking courses like literature, art, or sociology, then the BSN would be for you If you are mainly interested in the nursing license and more of a technical education, the Associate's degree is the way to go. I have worked with some excellent AD nurses and BSN nurses. The BSN nurses are better prepared to adapt to changing work environments because they have had a broader education base for their nursing practice. The AD nurses can be excellent technically, but may have trouble adapting to work settings outside their "comfort zone" because of the more narrow education base. Nurses who get their AD and work for a while then get their BSN usually do very well. This can work great if you want to be able to get out there and earn money and then go back to finish the BS degree.
Sheila

TeleNurseboy

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:44 pm
two words for that last post bull and shit

there are no leg up advantages that a bsn may get. people who think bsn is mostly by people who have bsn becasue that is what their teachers told them. the extra classes like statistics and speech really dont help with nursing but you can believe that all you want. for your adn you have to take all the classes a bsn has to take with the exception of chemistry speech and statistics. when you go for your nclex as a bsn or adn you take the exact same test. when you pass you have the exact same title. for people that think a bsn is better i hope they become a nurse manager, only higher bsn and then have to listen to all the nurses complain that they are extremely shorthanded.

mnm4u

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:21 am
Found this post late.. but there IS a difference.. You need to think about where you see yourself if 5-10 years and what field in nursing. When I was in school, I was looking at some internship programs upon graduation in the ED or CCU... Those internships were only open to BSN grads.. not ADN. I was in an ADN program and when I told the recruiter that I was immediatly told that I was not elligible. BUT then when I said that I have a BS degree in Biology from a University, I was told I was eligible. I then went though a very lengthy competative process and got the internship.

Now several years later I am thinking of going into teaching or getting my Nurse practioner.. they all require a BSN..

If you have the choice, its a no brainer.. get your BSN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Trying to find the right degree choice...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:04:00