The dreaded interview questions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » The dreaded interview questions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:35 am
The dreaded interview questions
I am so tired of anwering questions like why should we hire you, or what benefit will you bring to this position. I think that those answers go unsaid. You know that your answer is the same or very similar to everyone elses. Anyone got an answer that is different then the typical I'm a team player, have good skills etc?

Kayla 1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:38 am
I agree that those questions are the worst, but you need to look at it differently. You need to realize this is your chance to sell yourselve. I know some people have a hard time saying they are great for whatever reason. But you must stay competitive and the employer needs to know that you will be valuable to them. Hiring someone is a gamble and the employer is going to do their best to find out who you are in a short amount of time.

RN Recruiter

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:55 pm
I just spoke with a canadian nurse who just interviewed for a position in Fresno. In Canada, the state runs every hospital. So the interviewer asked the nurse how she felt about nursing in the private sector. The nurse was stumped. She was caught off guard by the question, and told me after the fact that she kind of fumbled it. She simply said that "she didn't know". And it made the nurse very uncomfortable.

So how would you answer a question like this, if you have no experience in the area. I then probed a little more, and she told me that she wasn't overly concerned about nursing in the private sector. She expected there to be some differences, but she was committed to adapting as quickly as possible to those changes.

I then suggested that what she told me is what she should have told the person who was interviewing her. I think she knew the answer to the question, but being put on the spot like that caught her off guard.

I usually give the nurses that I work with a list of commonly asked questions to read and think of answers to prior to their interview. Sometimes seeing a question before you hear it on an interview makes it a little more expected, and easier to answer.

So I can expand my list, and for the benefit of the other nurses who participate on this forum, what are some unusual interview questions that you have been asked? What was your response to the question? How would you have answered it differenly if you could get a "do-over"?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » The dreaded interview questions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:35:35