I want to be a nurse

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I want to be a nurse

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 10:02 pm
A DEMAND FOR NURSES???
As I was in the fifth grade I met a friend that sat right next to me during our first day of class (this was many years ago) Her mother happened to be a RN and the more time I spent with my friend the more information I found about what it was like to be an RN. Her mom's stories of the hospital and how good and rewarding it was to be a nurse always fascinated me so I voulnteered at a big city hospital and when I saw the surgery room with the surgeons standing in their scrubs and gloves, I thought to myself, this is what I want to be, a surgeon. As time and school grades quickly passed by, it was not realistic for me to pursue medical school because just getting through a biology course alone was a living nightmare for me! My first semester of college I took chemistry and it was a foreign language to me I ended up dropping it with no choice. My GPA has always been weak which has been my challenge of pursing just the nursing program. Although I have completed the nursing pre req's to this day I am still waiting to get into the program. Ever since I met my friend and her mother who is the nurse I have had this thirst to pursue nursing. They say there is a demand for nurses, then why are those empty slots at the hospitals not being filled by all of the students from every booked nursing school?? Is it that students are not passing or completing nursing school? Why is their still such a wide shortage?????

alipete

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 11:58 pm
I never was that great in my grades in nursing classes, but I consider myself an excellent nurse (grades do not always equate with clinical skills). There is a nursing shortage and a nursing instructor shortage. That is why you can't find a program that isn't completely filled. We need more programs and the government has noticed and trying to help with grants to pay the nurse instructors more. Good luck getting into a program!

Kloo

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:28 am
Hello,
I'm intrested in vocational training, and i do believe that it's hard to find a good programme to improve one's skills.
I'm new to this forum, and it's intresting for me to listen to your suggestions on this case.Which of them are really worth entrolling in.
Thanx

jonny0000

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:20 am
Kloo wrote:
Hello,
I'm intrested in vocational training, and i do believe that it's hard to find a good programme to improve one's skills.
I'm new to this forum, and it's intresting for me to listen to your suggestions on this case.Which of them are really worth entrolling in.
Thanx

I am a big fan of vocational training but I am think it is important to make sure you find a quality one that offers the right qualifications

paigerizme

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:32 pm
For me Vocational Training was the only feasible route- I started as a medical assistant, then went to LVN school and obtained my LVN. While working full time as an LVN, I completed my pre-reqs and an ADN program and obtained my RN. Not only was this much cheaper (my LVN training was at a community college), but the RN was much easier because I was already well versed in many areas when I went in to the ADN program. It took a little longer, but I am so glad I went the route I did. I am now finishing my BSN and have been a critical care nurse for over a year. The other thing I liked was I knew I was going to like nursing since I did my education step by step. I had heard horror stories from people who spent 3-4 yrs getting their RN, then found that they really didnt like being a nurse. The other advantage was that I increased my pay scale at each step- so I saw the benefits of my education my sooner. Good Luck to you.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » I want to be a nurse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:48:41