Med/surg experience

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Med/surg experience

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

lids11

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 04:21 pm
Med/surg experience
I will be graduating in May with my RN. I have been offered a position on an OB floor where I have been an CNA/HUC for the last three years. I also have been offered a job on a med/surg floor. They are both shifts I want. How important is that med/surg experience before I specialize?

easybreezy

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
I think it is important. You get to see a little of everything, and really hone your skills. I started as a new grad on a med/surg floor, and think it was the best thing I could have done.

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:35 am
I think it's important to be as well-rounded as you can be, but if, in your heart, you are an OB nurse, then go with that. My only question is: Are you planning on becoming an L&D nurse? If, so, then some med/surg experience would be helpful, but not absolutely necessary. You can learn everything you need to be successful on your unit, if you are committed to learning it.

My first job as an RN was on an OB floor (after working 10 years as an LPN in long-term care). My first six months was spent doing straight postpartum (our hospital didn't do Mom/Baby), and then I went to L&D. I wouldn't call it an easy transition to L&D, but within 2 years, I was comfortable. Of course, my years as an LPN helped immensely, so I think your time as a CNA in OB will be especially useful.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Med/surg experience
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:58:37