Do you support the Family?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Acheick

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:11 pm
winter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
No offense but I hope you and your wife are not teaching English to children.

Is my grammar really that bad? Please help me do better.

AFAIK, there should be a comma before "but."

No I don't teach, but I like to learn!

Let me help you. Loose and lose. You used loose when you should have used lose. To help me with that problem I think of things that help me remember. So I think of two O's as being more than just one O, which makes the word longer, or bigger, or l o o s er. Like, "my clothes are too loose." As opposed to the one O as in, " we will lose the game if you don't try harder." See the difference? Hope that helps.

max 1

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:16 am
winter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
winter wrote:

Basically, I think I and my wife should be the judges concerning the quality of education for my children. Public school's levels are too low, IMO, and not creative enough. People who are loosers will be loosers, and I feel sorry for their children. Sometimes there's not much you can do to liberate someone from generations of weirdness. We all have our burndens. I see that from many case studies in TF.

Maybe you would like to learn that Public schools in the U.K are known as Private.
Not everyone here has had the pleasure of Global travel and it can be a bit confusing.
How are the language classes going any Swahili speakers yet?

Love & God Bless You All

Max

winter 1

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:55 am
Acheick wrote:
winter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Let me help you. Loose and lose. You used loose when you should have used lose. To help me with that problem I think of things that help me remember. So I think of two O's as being more than just one O, which makes the word longer, or bigger, or l o o s er. Like, "my clothes are too loose." As opposed to the one O as in, " we will lose the game if you don't try harder." See the difference? Hope that helps.

Aha. So it's my spelling. Fantastic! So I will lose the the spelling bee and be a losser. Is it double "s?" I like looser clothing.

I was never much good at languages - human languages that is.

Man, I'm way off topic. It was interesting though,

Acheick

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:12 am
winter wrote:
Acheick wrote:
winter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Aha. So it's my spelling. Fantastic! So I will lose the the spelling bee and be a losser. Is it double "s?" I like looser clothing.

Yes, it's interesting. Actually, words and language are my favorite subjects, although now I'm really into reading history. I'm finding it fascinating. The English language is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I really hate grammar. There are a billion rules and a billion more that break those rules. Annoying. The best thing to do is to read as much as you can and from there, you will pick up on grammar, word usage, etc.

This coming from the mom who home-schooled her kids. See, now we're back on topic, hehehehe.

exSharon

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
winter wrote:

Just to be clear since I have made comments about homeschooling and being largely against it; I can certainly appreciate that there are qualified people who homeschool and do make sure that their children are socializing and are being taught from a comprehensive cirriculum which is age appropriate and will prepare children for higher education.
My reservations against it are based on the ones that aren't qualified and don't prepare children for independent life and higher education and I know there are far too many of those sorts of home schools.

I know that in the Family the thought was with the end of the world coming, who needed "further education"? When I was recruited as a teen I can remember someone preaching about us being the endtime generation and that Jesus could come back any time, that we were in the last days, the "toes" of the Daniel revelation image.
I remember wondering why some were having kids. Why would we have kids if any day a few years of false peace could start with the world's most horrific endtime war to follow right after.
Since leaving the family I have even had my car broken into and a tract left in it from some run of the mill pentecostal church whose young "prophet" told them on such and such date the rapture will happen". It wasn't the first time I had seen this after leaving from other followers of misguided faith. Doomsayers have been around long before the Family and will be long after it I am sure.
It's bad enough to grow up in fear of end time horror where you are learning magical tools that you believe will be activated when the time comes and you learn just enough to survive through this, but it is worse when you get older and realize Jesus did not come back in 1993 or four years after the death of Berg and the current doomsdates are not met. Your magical tools can be laid aside because Jesus has once again re-scheduled his plans for returning. They come and go with the years and you are stuck in some menial ministry tying baloons in knots or hawking cars for Jesus and you could have gotten an education and been inspired with the work you do rather than depending on being appointed a position that is outside of the largely mundane existance of the average fammem.

A kid may learn more about cultures of the world by traveling but will notice huge holes in their education and ability because they don't know how to use a credit card, a bank account, set up a retirement account for when Jesus hasn't come back yet, set up accounts to help their children with a college fund so they don't end up as burnt out baloonies or canners or whatever. My thoughts on homeschooling are largely regarding concerns of quality and content not being sufficiently monitored or being used in closed societies where kids will learn to feel apart from.

Anonymous

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 01:33 pm
Acheick wrote:
winter wrote:
Acheick wrote:
winter wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it's interesting. Actually, words and language are my favorite subjects, although now I'm really into reading history. I'm finding it fascinating. The English language is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I really hate grammar. There are a billion rules and a billion more that break those rules. Annoying. The best thing to do is to read as much as you can and from there, you will pick up on grammar, word usage, etc.

This coming from the mom who home-schooled her kids. See, now we're back on topic, hehehehe.

Yes English is very difficult, but Swahili is easy by comparison.
Do you know much about the history of the Nazi's someone put a photo of one here a few days ago?

Love & God Bless
Max aka Guest

Acheick

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 02:12 pm
Quote:
ex-Sharon wrote:

My reservations against it are based on the ones that aren't qualified and don't prepare children for independent life and higher education and I know there are far too many of those sorts of home schools.

I want to be clear too. I also don't agree with home-schooling when you describe it that way. Definitely the parents need to be qualified and there needs to be plenty of interaction with other peers, etc. If the purpose is to isolate children, then it's not for the right purpose. I hope you don't think I mean I condone that. The people I am referencing are those that have been able to put their home-schooled kids in some of the best universities and they have excelled beyond those that weren't home-schooled. As a parent, there is always a tricky balance to hit between sheltering your child from harmful influences and yet allowing them to experience the world and learn how to avoid those influences. I don't think there's any easy answer. I think it's a very difficult thing to accomplish.

And I totally agree with you about TF mindset of not caring about higher education and Berg's whole stupid idea that at 12 yrs old kids didn't need anymore schooling. Of all the lame things.... That was something that always stuck in my craw. I thought the same thing - what would happen to these kids if suddenly there was no F. to support them and they had to go out and earn a living?

IKWYM about those stupid end of the world mindsets. I absolutely loathe the bumper stickers that say something like - "in case of rapture, beware of unmanned car." And other silly rapture sayings. It just makes my skin crawl. Even if they believe that, they shouldn't advertise it like that. Its as if they are thumbing their nose at the rest of the world. That's not very Christian-like IMO.

exSharon

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 04:15 pm
Acheick wrote:

I hope you don't think I mean I condone that. The people I am referencing are those that have been able to put their home-schooled kids in some of the best universities and they have excelled beyond those that weren't home-schooled.
IKWYM about those stupid end of the world mindsets. I absolutely loathe the bumper stickers that say something like - "in case of rapture, beware of unmanned car." And other silly rapture sayings. It just makes my skin crawl. Even if they believe that, they shouldn't advertise it like that. Its as if they are thumbing their nose at the rest of the world. That's not very Christian-like IMO.

I haven't posted here much, but it seems pretty clear to me that you are someone that values education and I didn't think you were condoning isolating kids or anything like that. I haven't read anything here by anyone posting that seems like they don't care about their children's education. I know that was one of the things that really bothered me about the Family. Some families had so many children and there were a lot of single parents and with heavy work loads, quotas and all, there was no way even if a parent had the ability to be a teacher that they could do it. I know some tried but the result was neglect in education. I actually enrolled my kids in a "system" school while in Germany. They went to a bilingual school until I got one of those middle of the night wake up calls to get ready to move. Then when everything was getting mobile their education was definitely interrupted. There were homeschooling attempts but the average family within the family at the time just didn't have the time, resources and, or knowledge to provide what was needed for schooling. Not even with correspondence course materials.
I got out and returned to Babylon (just kidding!) and enrolled them in real school in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades. I had only one bad experience with a public school but it was nothing that I could not do something about.
That endtime fear stuff is a big factor of fear used to keep people in cults. A brain is a bad thing to waste. :wink:

Acheick

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:23 pm
ex-Sharon wrote:

I haven't posted here much, but it seems pretty clear to me that you are someone that values education and I didn't think you were condoning isolating kids or anything like that. I haven't read anything here by anyone posting that seems like they don't care about their children's education. I know that was one of the things that really bothered me about the Family. Some families had so many children and there were a lot of single parents and with heavy work loads, quotas and all, there was no way even if a parent had the ability to be a teacher that they could do it. I know some tried but the result was neglect in education.

I agree, I was always bucking up against leaders, my ex-husband, and all kinds of people who didn't think children's education was as important as "getting out the word, getting the monthly rent, witnessing" and all that end-time stuff. I got into a lot of trouble for it. There was never enough "time" for educating the kids.

Quote:
I actually enrolled my kids in a "system" school while in Germany. They went to a bilingual school until I got one of those middle of the night wake up calls to get ready to move. Then when everything was getting mobile their education was definitely interrupted. There were homeschooling attempts but the average family within the family at the time just didn't have the time, resources and, or knowledge to provide what was needed for schooling. Not even with correspondence course materials.
I got out and returned to Babylon (just kidding!) and enrolled them in real school in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades. I had only one bad experience with a public school but it was nothing that I could not do something about.

I enrolled my kids too, as soon as I left a F. home. I knew I couldn't do a good job all by myself. That was just too unrealistic. Fortunately, it was a small community with a real small school and they did very well and it helped them adjust. There are school systems here in Calif. that rank on the bottom of the national chart. I wouldn't want to put them in there and always avoided living in those areas.

Quote:
That endtime fear stuff is a big factor of fear used to keep people in cults. A brain is a bad thing to waste. :wink:

Fear - that's it. For some reason, they always ignore that verse about how God is love and there is no fear in love. I would always try and think of that when they'd make me so fearful, but of course, I was outnumbered. Evil or Very Mad

Anonymous

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:17 am
I'll have to say that I agree with both ex-Sharon and Acheick. I was about to type, but find no reason to repeat it.

My mom, not in TF anymore, home schools her children via the course I described. She also hires qualified tutors to teach them French and other subjects she is not familiar with or when she is busy. I have to say, I am very proud of my mom for holding it all together and giving them an education. I had to put myself through highschool and college. So I don't really know what it is like to have a good teacher. Though, I am thankful for what she did teach me before my parents divorced when I was six. I learned reading and writing and counting from her. I can still remember it. I miss mom.

max 1

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:42 am
Anonymous wrote:
I'll have to say that I agree with both ex-Sharon and Acheick. I was about to type, but find no reason to repeat it.

My mom, not in TF anymore, home schools her children via the course I described. She also hires qualified tutors to teach them French and other subjects she is not familiar with or when she is busy. I have to say, I am very proud of my mom for holding it all together and giving them an education. I had to put myself through highschool and college. So I don't really know what it is like to have a good teacher. Though, I am thankful for what she did teach me before my parents divorced when I was six. I learned reading and writing and counting from her. I can still remember it. I miss mom.

There's nothing like or as easy as sitting on the fence.
You must be or aspire to be a politician.
Well go kiss my bottom since as Sherlock Holmes aka Conan Doyle once said, “ You see but you do not observeâ€

exSharon

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:01 am
Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to say that you are amazing, having had to put yourself through high school and college. Lots of kids put themselves through college when their parents cannot afford it and this is no easy task but high school is definitely something parents put their children through as far as funding the school if a private one or if public school, funding the supplies, etc. Are you saying you were on your own during high school age?

Why don't you hear from your mom? Is the separation because she is in the family or for some other reason? Those are big losses. Sad But congratulations for what you have accomplished on your own.

max 1

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:57 pm
ex-Sharon wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Just wanted to say that you are amazing, having had to put yourself

through high school and college. Lots of kids put themselves through

college when their parents cannot afford it and this is no easy task but high school is definitely something parents put their children through as far as funding the school if a private one or if public school, funding the supplies, etc. Are you saying you were on your own during high school age?

Why don't you hear from your mom? Is the separation because she is in the family or for some other reason? Those are big losses. Sad But congratulations for what you have accomplished on your own.

It's always easy to agree with yourself and in many ways it is like making love to one’s self.
I think I'm falling in love with you, so would you do me the pleasure of kissing your bottom and posting a photograph thereof, wide-angle shots are always preferable!

Love & God Bless

Max

exSharon

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:37 pm
max wrote:

It's always easy to agree with yourself and in many ways it is like making love to one’s self.
I think I'm falling in love with you, so would you do me the pleasure of kissing your bottom and posting a photograph thereof, wide-angle shots are always preferable!

Wonder why what I wrote got so under your skin? Just to clarify, I am not answering myself here AT ALL. I was responding to someone else's post and I wonder why that subject is so touchy with you and why you are responding so angrily, you bitter non apostate, TF-believer, you! (jk) I won't send a photo because a.) I don't even like you and, b) Your husband, jesus, might get jealous. Razz

Anonymous

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 02:57 pm
ex-Sharon wrote:
max wrote:

Wonder why what I wrote got so under your skin? Just to clarify, I am not answering myself here AT ALL. I was responding to someone else's post and I wonder why that subject is so touchy with you and why you are responding so angrily, you bitter non apostate, TF-believer, you! (jk) I won't send a photo because a.) I don't even like you and, b) Your husband, jesus, might get jealous. Razz

You do not know me, so how can you like or dislike me?
As for Jesus et al you should know better than to use a prophets name in support of your opinions.

Love & God Bless

Max

Anonymous

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 03:00 pm
ex-Sharon wrote:
max wrote:

You do not know me, so how can you not like or dislike me?
As for Jesus you should know better than to use a prophets name in support of your opinions.

Love & God Bless

Max

evanman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
Still awaiting you to pm me the name of your company Max.

Acheick

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 02:38 pm
Anonymous wrote:

Awww - are you still in touch with your mom? Do you get to see her sometimes? I hope so. Good luck in all you do, you sound very well adjusted (in spite of everything which is amazing) and smart.

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
Acheick wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Awww - are you still in touch with your mom? Do you get to see her sometimes? I hope so. Good luck in all you do, you sound very well adjusted (in spite of everything which is amazing) and smart.

Oops, that was me - not logged in.

I write her sometimes. I saw her a few years ago. She helped me a lot recently though. Gave me good advice. She didn't condemn TF, which naturally enabled me to veiw her advice as objective - which I think it was. She is easier on TF that I am. I guess those that suffered more in TF, are more repulsed by it. She's a tough woman. Even though she doesn't put up with childlike behaviour from me, there is still something about 'Mom' that accepts everything about me. I never felt that from my foster mother who would through fits to my dad when we initially didn't call her mommy and force us to tuck in out tshirts.

When I saw my real mom for the first time in about 10 years, I could feel that she accepted me - everything about me. She cared about me. This is something I never felt before. I guess I did feel it when I was a little child. I just can't remember. My parents divorced. It hurt so bad that I stopped feeling. I was emotionaly dead untill more recently. So it kind of amazed me when I felt love from my mom - my real mom. There's some kind of bond with Mom. It's a real warm and fuzzy feeling. I know some mom's are not nice to their children and abuse them physically and emotionaly and psychologically. I wonder what kind of bond those mothers have with their children.

Acheick

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:03 pm
Quote:
"winter
Oops, that was me - not logged in.

I write her sometimes. I saw her a few years ago. She helped me a lot recently though. Gave me good advice. She didn't condemn TF, which naturally enabled me to veiw her advice as objective - which I think it was. She is easier on TF that I am. I guess those that suffered more in TF, are more repulsed by it. She's a tough woman. Even though she doesn't put up with childlike behaviour from me, there is still something about 'Mom' that accepts everything about me. I never felt that from my foster mother who would through fits to my dad when we initially didn't call her mommy and force us to tuck in out tshirts.

When I saw my real mom for the first time in about 10 years, I could feel that she accepted me - everything about me. She cared about me. This is something I never felt before. I guess I did feel it when I was a little child. I just can't remember. My parents divorced. It hurt so bad that I stopped feeling. I was emotionaly dead untill more recently. So it kind of amazed me when I felt love from my mom - my real mom. There's some kind of bond with Mom. It's a real warm and fuzzy feeling. I know some mom's are not nice to their children and abuse them physically and emotionaly and psychologically. I wonder what kind of bond those mothers have with their children.

I gather your mother lives far away? That has to be tough. I'm glad you were able to reconnect and have that special bond that only mothers can give their children. I cannot understand any mother that does not love their children unequivocally. I certainly cannot understand Maria and what she did to her own children. I suppose this is a problem with people in power, power corrupts as they say. I think the saddest thing I ever read was that short piece Ricky wrote (was it a poem?) about seeing a young couple at a park with their child and thinking how sweet it was for that child to have real parents that loved him.

Divorce is the hardest on children. I think it's shameful the things adults will do for their own feelings and sacrifice their children in the process. Your stepmom sounds like a nightmare.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:08:24