Donations?

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Donations?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:48 am
Donations?
Should we accept donations in order to move this site to a dedicated server?

evanman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
You can always solicit donations. I would say that you may not always receive many. My son has had his site for several years now and although he has a means through which he can receive donations he has yet to receive one penny in donations.

There are many very cheap providers though.

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:36 am
This would not be for a "cheap provider".

We aren't talking shared hosting, but a dedicated server that will run about $200/month.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
Re: Donations?
Craven de Kere wrote:
Should we accept donations in order to move this site to a dedicated server?

I'm not opposed to it. Wether we choose to solicit or not I'll dedicate some towards it monthly.

Any thoughts on running ads on the forum to help a bit towards server costs?

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
Ads wouldn't be viable. Due to the subject matter no major network would allow ads on these pages.

I can help pay for the server, but I just don't want it to be entirely dependent on me. Otherwise if I lose my job or somesuch, xfamily.org would go offline.

I'm open to suggestion on how we can scale (and start archiving even more on a dedicated box) and maintain stable.

WalkerJ 1

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:59 pm
I have a raise coming up very soon and may be able to contribute a small monthy amount (@ $20) towards the hosting.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:45 pm
I was thinking in the same range for myself...about 20 to 30 bucks. If enough others are able and agreeable to the idea of monthly contributions for whatever amount, perhaps xFamily won't be required to resort to greater solicitation.

evanman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:14 am
Could you not get some grant from somewhere?

here in EU, there are alsorts of funds available for projects.

Helga 1

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
Me too
Count on me for $20 a month. What you are doing is fantastic

Monger wrote:
I was thinking in the same range for myself...about 20 to 30 bucks. If enough others are able and agreeable to the idea of monthly contributions for whatever amount, perhaps xFamily won't be required to resort to greater solicitation.

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 06:03 pm
Monger wrote:

I'd prefer to avoid the solicitation myself as well. I could contribute the difference.

Jack 2

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 11:39 am
I could contribute as well.

However, contrary to what evanman says, back when I made a plea for a few bucks on the exfamily.org forum for the google ads a suprising amount of people coughed up to the point that I had to return money.

While I don't like begging either, I think a lot of people want to help this effort but aren't the type to make posts or edit content that would be happy to donate.

Porceleindoll

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:56 pm
I wouldn't look at it as begging, but more as a responsibility to help put out the truth about the lie we lived for so long.

As far as contributing, I'll see what I can do, but I'm having a bit of a rough time (what's new).

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:27 pm
Personally, I am constitutionally opposed to donations. However, I'd also like to be able to allow uploading of all Family-related media without concern for my server space (xfamily.org is currently using a server I do business off of).

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:56 am
In order to move to a larger server (200GB should get us started nicely :-) we will soon accept donations toward server costs.

The page is still being edited but can be seen in its present state here:

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/xFamily_-_Children_of_God:Donate

Monger 1

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 04:03 pm
Coolness. This will allow me to upload some stuff I've held back on (pdfs, audio, etc). I just sent some mulah (and I see I'm not the first), but is there any way to offer a monthly recurring payment option up front using paypal?

Craven de Kere 1

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:58 pm
Yeah, there is but I'm still having problems with the idea of using it...

I'll get over it when the server bills arive. ;-)

Thorwald 1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:49 am
My money is on the way. Let me know when you receive it (via email). I, too, might like to set up a recurring payment system.

Nice to see people donating! Thank you everyone!

Acheick

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:02 am
If it means improving this site and keeping it going, I am willing to help from time to time (when I can).

Day 1

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:51 am
Donations
This site offers so much and it's benefits are well worth my support. Count me in.

max 1

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 05:36 am
I think that wes should proceed and take in some links to companies such as Amazon, Virgin etc

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Donations?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:35:27