Thanks for dying Jesus?

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Thanks for dying Jesus?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 05:27 pm
Thanks for dying Jesus?
Can anyone figure this one out?
http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/05-25-07-books/dot_matrix1.jpg

WalkerJ 1

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 02:26 pm
LOL!! That's a great spoof.

Here's the original:
http://graphics.christianbook.com/g/slideshow/7/715068/main/715068_1_ftc_dp.jpg

m 2

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 02:55 pm
ROFLMAO!

And while I'm here, I'd like to point out that God sent Jesus to die to save us from himself. You might think that he could have just canceled hell or suffering, or just said "You are forgiven". But no, that wasn't his perfect plan. The perfect plan, then, entailed murdering his own son and wanting us to be grateful for it. One can't help but wonder at the sheer stupidity that omniscience is capable of producing.

Cookie 2

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 06:31 pm
thorwald, is your link good? i can't see it.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 09:49 pm
Cookie wrote:
thorwald, is your link good? i can't see it.

It appears fine to me.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 02:54 pm
If you're visiting from a corporate network, the domain hosting the image (somethingawful.com) might be blocked.

Cookie 2

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 08:06 pm
that must be it. but it's the first link i remember coming across like that. Smile maybe they're tightening up, heh.

Thorwald 1

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:33 am
http://www.picturebookmarking.com/galleries/uploaded/1182771008848.jpg

Monger 1

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
The text is funny, but yech, that image is gruesome...

figaro

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 11:19 pm
Thorwald wrote:
http://www.picturebookmarking.com/galleries/uploaded/1182771008848.jpg

OMFG thats the funniest thing i have ever seen!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

evanman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:16 am
I don't think that the image is very funny.

The text is cynical, but hardly surprising.

I, for one, don't believe in this Cannibalistic doctrine of the Mass! As for Jesus being a "Zombie," well I wouldn't equate Crucifixion with some "voodoo" ritual, would you? Being nailed up is far more painful than being administered puffer fish venom.

m 2

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:15 pm
The zombie part refers to the resurrection.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 04:22 pm
The Bible spoiler:
http://www.philosophiste.com/images/spoiler.jpg

winter 1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:32 pm
What is really funny...
...is that none of us ever met the guy. So while it may be fine mock religion, I think it is not the greatest taste to mock someone we don't know about. You all were brought up familiar with the Bible. Just to be fair, you should also mock Siddhartha Gautama, Laozi, or any other gurus.

I think it is rather bad taste to mock anyone - living or dead, rich or poor, wise or foolish. I have done so in the past, but it always left a bad taste in my mouth. (Pun not really intended, but whatever...)

Show me something constructive.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:43 am
winter wrote:
I think it is rather bad taste to mock anyone - living or dead, rich or poor, wise or foolish. I have done so in the past, but it always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Would you consider it "bad taste" to mock Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? If not, and, as I believe, Jesus (as described by Christians) is no more real than Santa Claus, what's the difference? Note that I am not mocking someone's right to believe whatever they want. Also note that my linking to the above images does not constitute "mocking".

In any case, I would have no problem with Jesus or religion if it were not for the millions of Christians trying to tell me how to live my life, place incompetent politicians in office (who are at their beck-and-call), constantly try to undo the progress we have made with describing the natural world (via science), etc. If they would just leave the rest of us who find their beliefs not good enough, I would leave them alone. However, they have declared war on science and I intend to do everything in my power to see that they do not win!

If Christians are free to tell me that, as an atheist, I shall "spend eternity in a lake of fire while gnashing my teeth", then I feel it appropriate to inform them that I find them and their beliefs downright silly!

Finally, I do not just have a problem with Christianity; I have a problem with _all_ religions and beliefs that do not hold up to testable scrutiny. I just happen to live in a society where Christianity is especially pronounced.

PS: To borrow a line from Richard Dawkins: I did not mock or insult you; I insulted God. If he exists, I should think him capable of defending himself.

PPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_sfSDCV9Jo (Ricky Gervais! Too funny!)

PPPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boomer_Bible

mrs reaper

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 01:31 pm
wow couldnt have put it better myself... saw ricky gervais do that gig live never laughed so much in all my life!!!!!!

winter 1

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 05:13 pm
Thorwald wrote:
winter wrote:
I think it is rather bad taste to mock anyone - living or dead, rich or poor, wise or foolish. I have done so in the past, but it always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Would you consider it "bad taste" to mock Santa Claus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? If not, and, as I believe, Jesus (as described by Christians) is no more real than Santa Claus, what's the difference? Note that I am not mocking someone's right to believe whatever they want. Also note that my linking to the above images does not constitute "mocking".

In any case, I would have no problem with Jesus or religion if it were not for the millions of Christians trying to tell me how to live my life, place incompetent politicians in office (who are at their beck-and-call), constantly try to undo the progress we have made with describing the natural world (via science), etc. If they would just leave the rest of us who find their beliefs not good enough, I would leave them alone. However, they have declared war on science and I intend to do everything in my power to see that they do not win!

If Christians are free to tell me that, as an atheist, I shall "spend eternity in a lake of fire while gnashing my teeth", then I feel it appropriate to inform them that I find them and their beliefs downright silly!

Finally, I do not just have a problem with Christianity; I have a problem with _all_ religions and beliefs that do not hold up to testable scrutiny. I just happen to live in a society where Christianity is especially pronounced.

Me too. Me too. I have a problem with organized religions, etc. However, I think there is a difference even between Saint Nicholas and Flying Spaghetti Monster. The one has historical records. The other doesn't. Of course because of the BS image that people put on historical figures and the man worship the indulge in, we may have little idea of who they really were.

By involving yourself so much with your enemy, you have helped it to bind it to you. I guess that applies to any side.

Thorwald 1

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 06:10 pm
winter wrote:
The one has historical records.

Wait. I assume you are not meaning the Bible as your "historical record" here? I also assume you know that only two of the 40+ scholarly historians alive during and immediately after the alleged life of Jesus wrote anything about him? The most famous was Josephus. However, his reference to Jesus has since been proven to be a much later addition (probably several hundred years after the death of Josephus). The other historian, Suetonius, wrote a _single_ sentence: "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, [Emperor Claudius in 49 CE] expelled them from Rome." Even though even misspelled the Greek title and "Chrestus" was a common Greek name.

That's the "historical record" of Jesus' life. The historical record of St. Nicholas is _much_ fuller than that!

PS: I am not an expert on the history of the first two centuries CE, so feel free to point out any other sources I have missed.

PPS: See Did a historical Jesus exist? for a good read. Includes references at the bottom.

winter 1

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 07:43 am
Thorwald wrote:
winter wrote:
The one has historical records.

Wait. I assume you are not meaning the Bible as your "historical record" here? I also assume you know that only two of the 40+ scholarly historians alive during and immediately after the alleged life of Jesus wrote anything about him? The most famous was Josephus. However, his reference to Jesus has since been proven to be a much later addition (probably several hundred years after the death of Josephus). The other historian, Suetonius, wrote a _single_ sentence: "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, [Emperor Claudius in 49 CE] expelled them from Rome." Even though even misspelled the Greek title and "Chrestus" was a common Greek name.

That's the "historical record" of Jesus' life. The historical record of St. Nicholas is _much_ fuller than that!

PS: I am not an expert on the history of the first two centuries CE, so feel free to point out any other sources I have missed.

PPS: See Did a historical Jesus exist? for a good read. Includes references at the bottom.

Pardon me, I didn't even read your post because the second sentence assumes too much. I would venture that it is as erroneous as me saying that you are typing with your ass. So here is a reply for you: Wait.

Thorwald 1

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 12:14 am
http://bp1.blogger.com/_IWn1UTEW0RY/RqeHZxAVowI/AAAAAAAADZ4/chPZekPJdxM/s1600-h/bible_fiction.jpg

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Thanks for dying Jesus?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:44:34