The Story of Us: a short film by an ex-member

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » The Story of Us: a short film by an ex-member

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 10:34 am
I'm working on an animated short film called "The Story of Us", inspired by Ricky Rodriguez's Suicide Tape. The film is based on my interpretation of what was going through his mind during the tape; his feelings, his conflicts, his struggles, and his motives for doing what he did. The film will use an unnamed character in place of Ricky Rodriguez to avoid offending any ex-members, and will take place entirely in his mind. Images and brief clips from The Family's publications and tapes from the time will feature in the film. The film is being made for my college finals, as well as local film festivals.

I was wondering if anyone would like to help. I really want this film to accurately represent what The Family did to people psychologically and physically. You can help by writing a brief description of your experience in The Family and explain how much you think your life was affected by what happened (e.g. what you went through after you left, how you felt about what happened, whether or not you allowed others to hear about it, etc)

If you'd like to help but prefer to privately discuss it, send me a PM.

You'll be credited in the film by your name, a name of your choosing, or anonymously, if you wish. Any response is for private use only, and will not be shared without the express permission of the individual who wrote the reply/PM.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. It's really helpful!

chienren

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2013 09:01 am
@KarenKarMa,
I would love to help! But I could only give ideas for the script, and i have no idea how to make animation...but I was actually thinking about making videos about the TFI cult... not animated though.

I was thinking about making a video where different exmembers around the world would send in their short video clips explaining their ways in the cult.

If anyone would want to help me with this let me know!

KarenKarMa

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 09:50 am
@chienren,
I'd love to help, but I need to finish my film first. If you want to help me out, I'd love to send you a copy of my script-in-progress.

SGA and not proud

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:17 pm
I can only assume you were not born in the cult - or lived there very long....

Davidito was the Chosen One. No amount of abuse or experience within The Family from all the members together can come anything close to what he went through. I think the video, and the ramblings - made that clear.
Trying to empathise and retell would most likely be an offense.

I´m not sure people outside can actually, truly understand what happens to a child born in a cult. it´s not abuse, but the believing that one deserved it that really fucks you up....

KarenKarMa

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 08:52 am
@SGA and not proud,
I was born into the cult and I was in it until I was 16. That was nearly 5 years ago.

I also completly agree that nothing comes close to what he went through. I only wanted to hear other people's experiences to draw inspiration for the film. I was Third Generation, so nothing comes close to what, for example, I can only assume you probably went through. I can't talk to Ricky directly, so the best I can do is learn what others went through and try to draw upon it.

blackmoth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 07:06 am
Hey KarenKarma and Chienren,

How are your films coming along? If they are already made it would be a pleasure to see them. And if not, I would gladly participate.
It's a really good initiative, sharing our experiences and making them known to public can be a good way of healing. It's a meager compensation compared to getting real justice but it's already something. People need to know, some are still joining and they have no idea what went on (no idea what could be going on right now...)
In any case, thanks.

KarenKarMa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2015 08:37 pm
@blackmoth,
At the moment, it's funding I'm working on. I might have to work on other things first to get the money I need. That way, I can release the film for free.

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » The Story of Us: a short film by an ex-member
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:16:09