Is Isreal a Democratic State?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Is Isreal a Democratic State?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Cyclops

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 04:34 pm
I recently heard a speech by Miko Peled, who was born in Isreal. His father was a general in the 1967 war; and later spoke out against Isreal's policy toward Palestinians. Having subscribed to Peled's site on the Internet, I have formed the opinion that Isreal is not a democracy. There are 6.5 million Jews in Israel, and just over 6 million Palestinians, however, the Palestinians have no representation. Only Jewish people are allowed to vote, and Israel calls all of the shots. The Palestinians are furthermore segregated within Isreal, by armed Isreali guards and road blocks.

What do you think? Is Isreal a democracy, and if so, how do you defend this position?

cornopean

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 03:06 pm
@Cyclops,
a democracy is direct rule by the people. Clearly Israel doesn't have this.
a republic is rule by representative who are elected by the people. This is the kind of govt Israel has.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 12:57 am
@Cyclops,
The US calls Israel a "democracy," but they just don't know what they are talking about. I have visited Israel a couple of times, and have spoken to a Palestinian woman whose family has lived there for many generations. She told us they are not free to travel within Israel. That was confirmed by the fact that Palestinians have different colored license plates, and there are control points throughout Israel with armed guards.

http://visualizingpalestine.org/visuals/segregated-roads-west-bank

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Is Isreal a Democratic State?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:52:25