Was Freud a Philosopher

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

StochasticBeauty

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165454 wrote:
But then, I thought that would also be science (although I don't quite understand what "human truth" is as contrasted just with truth). But are philosophy and science the same?

Science uses the scientific method and is data driven and relies on universal truth. universal truth is one that all sufficiently intelligent and educated observers, from this planet or any other (should they exist), would conclude to "be so." For instance, the proportion of a circle's circumference to its diameter is 3.141592 ( . . . ). This is a universal truth. Any capable, unbiased individual could verify that truth. Similarly, that energy is equivalent to rest mass times the speed of light squared, is also a universal truth.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@StochasticBeauty,
StochasticBeauty;165476 wrote:
Science uses the scientific method and is data driven and relies on universal truth. universal truth is one that all sufficiently intelligent and educated observers, from this planet or any other (should they exist), would conclude to "be so." For instance, the proportion of a circle's circumference to its diameter is 3.141592 ( . . . ). This is a universal truth. Any capable, unbiased individual could verify that truth. Similarly, that energy is equivalent to rest mass times the speed of light squared, is also a universal truth.

Aaannnnd????????

StochasticBeauty

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165477 wrote:
Aaannnnd????????

And mathematical/physical laws rely on universal truth. Human truth is what creates great societies and what can guide an individual towards living a personally meaningful life. Additionally, without philosophers ailing social systems would never be scrutinized and need for change brought to attention (i.e. social darwinist/capitalist society inherently evil---->what is to be considered evil etc)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:51:14