Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:52 pm
Concerning the exploration of mind Vs consciousness

Self-enquiry TheorySelf-enquiry

Smile

jeeprs

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 07:34 pm
@CygnusX1,
I am familiar with the writings of Sri Ramana Maharishi and believe that he truly was an embodiment of spiritual enlightenment.

The point is, though, that it is not a matter of understanding words. To really practise this undestanding is a lifelong and very arduous spiritual discipline. Ramana Maharishi himself walked away from his home and all possessions and concern for himself. Had he not been tended by some local people who recognised his saintliness, he might well have succumbed to starvation. For 20 years after his realisation, he remained largely silent and a recluse, giving no heed to his physical well-being, insect bites, the weather, or anything else. He owned nothing and ate only what was brought to him.

There are plenty of books saying 'you are already enlightened' or 'realise your own true nature'. But to actually traverse this path of self-enquiry - which I accept is completely genuine - requires a great deal of discipline and sacrifice. This is no reason not to study it, but I think it needs to be acknowledge that it is not an easy path to walk.

What do you thinK?

Caroline

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 05:57 am
@CygnusX1,
I think that it's not any easy path, it is a hard one but then nothing is worth having if it's easy!

richrf

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:18 am
@Caroline,
For some time, I have wondered whether it is enlightened to suggest that there is enlightenment? Does the teacher learn from the student or does the student learn from the teacher?

Rich

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Hinduism
  3. » Self Enquiry - Concerning the exploration of mind Vs consciousness
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:23:12