Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:13 am
http://radyananda.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/woman_stoned_to_death.jpg

http://www.asiaburning.com/images/a-woman-being-stoned-to-death_2411.jpg

Islam please explain these awful photos

Krumple

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:27 am
@Alan McDougall,

That second one doesn't even look real. Besides Alan, you support a theocracy that use to promote stoning, so are you sure you can just come out and demand an explanation? It's obvious, they don't care about human life, and if it is female, it's regarded even less. That is what religion does. It pins people against each other to maintain itself. What ever threatens it, should be killed, that is it's motto. I doubt any Muslim would ever answer you on this question Alan.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:24 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;133918 wrote:
That second one doesn't even look real. Besides Alan, you support a theocracy that use to promote stoning, so are you sure you can just come out and demand an explanation? It's obvious, they don't care about human life, and if it is female, it's regarded even less. That is what religion does. It pins people against each other to maintain itself. What ever threatens it, should be killed, that is it's motto. I doubt any Muslim would ever answer you on this question Alan.

I agree Smile the second photo looks posed and fake unlike the first which is genuine

People often when shown a picture state that Christians and Jews "HAVE" BEEN GUILTY OF THE SAME TYPE OF DEPRAVITY.

The point is; Christians and Jews do not do these appalling things anymore".

The genuine photo is obviously taken not too long ago and this type of hideous depravity is still being done in the name of god and Islam.

josh0335

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:22 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;133908 wrote:

Islam please explain these awful photos

The first one is a woman buried up to her chest looking very upset and the second is a fake.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

Alan McDougall;133939 wrote:
I agree Smile the second photo looks posed and fake unlike the first which is genuine

People often when shown a picture state that Christians and Jews "HAVE" BEEN GUILTY OF THE SAME TYPE OF DEPRAVITY.

The point is; Christians and Jews do not do these appalling things anymore".

No, they do other appalling things instead. Stoning is not an Islamic punishment, as it has no reference in the Qur'an at all. This is unlike the Bible, where there are numerous references to stoning.

Stoning in the Muslim culture may have come as a result of cross-fertilisation with the Romans and the Arab Christinas/Jews, who used to practise stoning. The majority of Muslim countries do not practise stoning, with the exceptions of war-torn Afghanistan, Shia majority Iran, and some Salafi orientated nations such as Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Sudan.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:22 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;133999 wrote:
The first one is a woman buried up to her chest looking very upset and the second is a fake.

No, they do other appalling things instead. Stoning is not an Islamic punishment, as it has no reference in the Qur'an at all. This is unlike the Bible, where there are numerous references to stoning.

Stoning in the Muslim culture may have come as a result of cross-fertilisation with the Romans and the Arab Christinas/Jews, who used to practise stoning. The majority of Muslim countries do not practise stoning, with the exceptions of war-torn Afghanistan, Shia majority Iran, and some Salafi orientated nations such as Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Sudan.

Nevertheless, these appalling events of human depravity are still happening in the Islamic world, by saying Christian do the same kind of things is untruthful in the extreme

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;134007 wrote:
Nevertheless, these appalling events of human depravity are still happening in the Islamic world, by saying Christian do the same kind of things is untruthful in the extreme

Some of them want to join in though:

Public Stoning: Not Just for the Taliban Anymore | | AlterNet

Of course - neither of the pics you link to show stonings.

xris

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:34 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;133999 wrote:

Also in Pakistan,Afghanistan before the recent war. I thought it was sharia justice?

josh0335

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:51 am
@xris,
Alan McDougall;134007 wrote:

All types of human depravity are happening in all parts of the world. Stoning is not Islamic justice, so your objection should be against those who are using it in the name of Islam, not the religion itself.

xris;134010 wrote:
Also in Pakistan,Afghanistan before the recent war. I thought it was sharia justice?

I don't believe it happens in Pakistan, not officially anyway. I know some districts have been given autonomy and dish out their own version of Islamic justice, but stoning is not the norm.

There are scholars who believe it is shariah justice, but their argument is weak. They cannot support it using authentic texts. The problem faced by both Muslims and non-Muslims is that a particular brand of Islam gets a whole lot of attention, whilst the Islam we're trying to show gets little in comparison.

The death penalty is prescribed for only one crime in the Qur'an, and that is murder. And even then, blood money can be accepted to allow the criminal a lesser punishment. Killing for adultery, apostasy, homosexuality, paedophillia, having your honour insulted etc. are not based on shariah sources.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:53 am
@Alan McDougall,
There's no-one islam-believer going to justify this I am afraid... No-one can.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 06:09 AM ----------

Krumple;133918 wrote:

I think it's any-ones right to ask these questions.

I think it's a good question; beats mine about the symbolic meaning of the colour green in Islam.

I believe Allah is a fact of importance, since so many people believe in God. I also believe God should left a-lone & is not to blame for crimes committed in his Name.

I think we should shed our feathers and get rid of the scriptures and try it together in a truly Humanistic way. Modern society can do with-out Theo-craty.:devilish:

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:16 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;134014 wrote:
There's no-one islam-believer going to justify this I am afraid... No-one can.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 06:09 AM ----------

I think it's any-ones right to ask these questions.

I think it's a good question; beats mine about the symbolic meaning of the colour green in Islam.

I believe Allah is a fact of importance, since so many people believe in God. I also believe God should left a-lone & is not to blame for crimes committed in his Name.

I think we should shed our feathers and get rid of the scriptures and try it together in a truly Humanistic way. Modern society can do with-out Theo-craty.:devilish:

Or even excuse it, as some on this thread are trying to do.

xris

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:44 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;134012 wrote:
All types of human depravity are happening in all parts of the world. Stoning is not Islamic justice, so your objection should be against those who are using it in the name of Islam, not the religion itself.

I don't believe it happens in Pakistan, not officially anyway. I know some districts have been given autonomy and dish out their own version of Islamic justice, but stoning is not the norm.

There are scholars who believe it is shariah justice, but their argument is weak. They cannot support it using authentic texts. The problem faced by both Muslims and non-Muslims is that a particular brand of Islam gets a whole lot of attention, whilst the Islam we're trying to show gets little in comparison.

The death penalty is prescribed for only one crime in the Qur'an, and that is murder. And even then, blood money can be accepted to allow the criminal a lesser punishment. Killing for adultery, apostasy, homosexuality, paedophillia, having your honour insulted etc. are not based on shariah sources.
But what is, Islam, the examples we see in action or the profound apologies for its actions? Indonesia has now introduced stoning for adultery, its spreading this extreme view on sharia law. How can none Muslims not fail to be disgusted with its operation. If Muslims who opposed this interpretation made more noise and opposed it openly, then we might be a little less critical.

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134020 wrote:
Or even excuse it, as some on this thread are trying to do.

I think it's well worth criticising real acts of violence towards women in some Islamic societies.

However - whenever the topic gets raised it seems to me that those raising it spice the topic up with some serious misconceptions - so before a debate takes place an argument breaks out between those wanting to discuss the facts of the issue and those indulging the hype.

Which looks like apologetics sometimes.

Case in point - neither of Alan's "evidences of stoning" are.

One might be a horrid demeaning torture - it might be a woman being prepared for execution - but for all the context it comes with it might be jihadis having fun with granny at the beach - what is the story?

And the other is just a fake - clearly constructed in order to hype this kind of debate - it's not even a good fake.

So yeah - let's not apologise for stoning - but let's not hype our positions with lies either.

What do you reckon of capital punishment? I'd say at best it is a thorny issue and liable to abuse. I'm glad to live in a society that has done away with it.

I suggest other societies do likewise, and that woman in countries such as Taliban-run Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, are subjected to some of the worst abuses a society that condones capital punishment can dish out.

Owen phil

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:19 am
@Alan McDougall,

Indeed!!

Man's inhumanity to man has its worst expression through religious nonsense . I am thankful that I am atheist, ie. I do believe that 'god exists' is false...however god is defined.

Anyone who believes this kind of cruelity is proper is a complete and dangerous idiot.

All religions are to be feared! Childish superstition is not justification for any action.

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:22 am
@Owen phil,
Owen;134044 wrote:
Anyone who believes this kind of cruelity is proper is a complete and dangerous idiot.

What sort of cruelty do you percieve in the second image?

Abuse of photoshop?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:23 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;134038 wrote:
I think it's well worth criticising real acts of violence towards women in some Islamic societies.

however - whenever the topic gets raised it seems to me that those raising it spice the topic up with some serious misconceptions - so before a debate takes place an argument breaks out between those wanting to discuss the facts of the issue and those indulging the hype.

Which looks like apologetics sometimes.

Case in point - neither of Alan's "evidences of stoning" are.

One might be a horrid demeaning torture - it might be a woman being prepared for execution - but for all the context it comes with it might be jihadis having fun with granny at the beach - what is the story?

And the other is just a fake - clearly constructed in order to hype this kind of debate - it's not even a good fake.

So yeah - let's not apologise for stoning - but let's not hype our positions with lies either.

What do you reckon of capital punishment? I'd say at best it is a thorny issue and liable to abuse. I'm glad to live in a society that has done away with it.

I suggest other societies do likewise, and that woman in countries such as Taliban-run Afghanistan, or Saudi Arabia, are subjected to some of thr worst abuses a society that condones capital punishment tends to dish out.

And your point is......?

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134049 wrote:
And your point is......?

To take part in the thread Ken.

Perhaps you should read it again, or something.

xris

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:32 am
@Dave Allen,
I think if you search there are more terrible examples and they are not faked. My friend in the oil business tell me ksa are the most barbaric. I cant help feeling sorry for the moderate muslims who also find them disturbing. I watched a programme the other week where young muslims are moving away from Indonesia to escape the extremes of sharia law.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:58 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;134048 wrote:
What sort of cruelty do you perceive in the second image?

Abuse of photoshop?

Perhaps the evidence in the photos was not sufficient so I will ad another if you are brave enough to look at it

Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_H9vH2BqovZQ/SKnhx4vfPiI/AAAAAAAAATA/G2twx6lkBAU/s400/child-cruelty.jpg

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:14 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;134156 wrote:
Perhaps the evidence in the photos was not sufficient

Lies aren't evidence at all - they are just lies. You should not be perpetrating or diseminating fakery.
Again - when the story is looked into it becomes clear the image is hype to some degree.

The story is about a 13 year old boy - taking part in a ceremony that is meant for adults only. His father lied about his age and the organisers of the ceremony are not supportive of his deceit.

The ceremony is mad - but it's not like there aren't flagellents in other faiths. This sort of zeal is a comprehensive problem, not just an Islamic one.

But the kid in the picture is much younger than 13 - he looks like a toddler or a baby.

Now - both the story and the pic are alarming - and I'm glad the 13 year old's father was subjected to criminal investigations - but something's amiss - that illo does not go with that story.

So who is the bloodied baby?

Is it just the best pic the owner of a blog aimed at being hypercritical of Islam could dig up for greatest shock value?

Shouldn't you check your sources before spreading hype?

polpol

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:04 pm
@Dave Allen,
Alain McD.,
I admire the people that have tried to put some sense in your head, I won't even try. I found the pictures horrofying but what horrifies me the most is people like you. You seem to be such a pathetic person, and its weird but it makes me want to add to your islamophobia just for laughs. But I'll be nice and will just try to upset you a little bit by saying that Islam is a wonderful religion that respects individual freedom and is very open to cultural diversity. The Koran is a beautiful and inspiring book full of poetry, humour and profound wisdom and Mohamet was one of the most open-minded men of his time who did a lot for women (read what he said about adultery and war widows),...and I'm not even a muslim, I just read the Koran, the Bible, The Baghavat Gita...and if I were your mother I would give you a spanking...or maybe I would have some muslims over for dinner to teachyou some basic things about life and society. Are you going to have nightmares tonight?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Islam
  3. » Woman being stoned to death Islam Explain
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 03:31:19