Islam is fundamentally incoherent.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:17 am
@salima,
salima;88879 wrote:
i see-perhaps you didnt notice the part about hegel? do you also find that 'sickening' and beyond your understanding?
So whats your point then Salima.

salima

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:23 pm
@xris,
xris;88957 wrote:
So whats your point then Salima.

xris i dont feel that you made any response to the reply, it is as though you havent read or understood the concept.

i sympathize with your frustration and outrage at all the misfortune in the world, i have to look at it every day and it isnt easy. but it is almost as if we are knowing it could be us any day and we are afraid that we may have to face what others do daily.

these conditions are part of life, and rather than rage about them it is possible to do something constructive. look at people like christopher reeves and how hard he worked to bring awareness to the public over the issues of stem cell research. that is only one small example.

i cant take any time to continue to make a case for something that i know from experience you will never comprehend. i am sorry because i know that the suffering in the world you have taken on your back and it is too much for any one person to bear.

i am so distressed about the way these forums have developed that i hereby remove myself from any conversation on religion and unsubscribe from these forums. sorry xris, maybe we will meet again on another thread like poetry or music where we can reach some kind of understanding, because it isnt going to happen here.

xris

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 03:51 am
@salima,
salima;89093 wrote:
xris i dont feel that you made any response to the reply, it is as though you havent read or understood the concept.

i sympathize with your frustration and outrage at all the misfortune in the world, i have to look at it every day and it isnt easy. but it is almost as if we are knowing it could be us any day and we are afraid that we may have to face what others do daily.

these conditions are part of life, and rather than rage about them it is possible to do something constructive. look at people like christopher reeves and how hard he worked to bring awareness to the public over the issues of stem cell research. that is only one small example.

i cant take any time to continue to make a case for something that i know from experience you will never comprehend. i am sorry because i know that the suffering in the world you have taken on your back and it is too much for any one person to bear.

i am so distressed about the way these forums have developed that i hereby remove myself from any conversation on religion and unsubscribe from these forums. sorry xris, maybe we will meet again on another thread like poetry or music where we can reach some kind of understanding, because it isnt going to happen here.
I dont take the worlds problems on my back nor do I do enough to alleviate others sufferings but I will make my voice heard when dogmatic driven faith makes such outrageous claims or interferes in others lives.

Every now and then we have certain faiths making claims that need to be questioned, you might notice I never instigate these debates but I do feel compelled to question the statements being made. I make no excuse for my feelings or attitudes and if you dont wish to debate your faith then that is your choice but when it is misrepresented or the truth is not completely spoken then I will debate.

I attempt not to inflame nor misrepresent any faiths but the subject is there and my opinions are not driven by prejudice but concern. I look forward to debating other subjects with you and promise not to debate such personal opinions again. I hope we can recover and be friends again, i am sorry if I upset you in anyway.Xris

Aedes

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:11 am
@xris,
xris;89145 wrote:
Every now and then we have certain faiths making claims that need to be questioned
Faiths do not make claims. People make claims in the context of faiths. Before generalizing about all other people within a faith, it is your responsibility to make sure that you are not foisting the outrages of a thousand people onto an innocent billion.

xris;89145 wrote:
I do feel compelled to question the statements being made.
I share with the other staff on this site the feeling that no philosophical question or discussion is worth alienating, belittling, or demeaning people, and this includes through the use of unfounded generalizations. Philosophy works best with the free exchange of ideas among people with diverse perspectives. When you cherrypick the Koran and make outrageous statements about Muslims in general, failing to even consider let alone acknowledge that they are not representative of the whole (or whether you've even bothered to look), you are going beyond some simple intellectual exercise.

I'm going to leave you with the following points. And these are NOT simply suggestions -- these are flat out expectations for the conduct of every single member of this forum:

1) Be sensitive to the fact that you may be writing deeply hurtful things about whole populations of people

2) Temper your philosophical inquiries with sensitivity

3) If you cannot be sensitive, then fake it and censor yourself

This thread is done -- should have been long ago.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:21:05