'A' Dasein?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:01 pm
@Twirlip,
Dasien, you may consider yourself emancipated, but you are still very attached to viewpoints. These things you say about those with whom you interact taking 'years to recover', 'nobody can help you', and so on, really come across as very condescending...I shall continue to read, but I can't see a lot of point in further dialog....

Dasein

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 09:26 am
@jeeprs,
[QUOTE=jeeprs;160690]Dasien, you may consider yourself emancipated, but you are still very attached to viewpoints. These things you say about those with whom you interact taking 'years to recover', 'nobody can help you', and so on, really come across as very condescending...I shall continue to read, but I can't see a lot of point in further dialog....[/QUOTE]

jeeprs;

I accept your offer to continue reading. Jump back in or don't jump back in when you're ready or you can jump back in regardless of whether you're ready or not.

Normally, when person 'A' bestows an 'honor' (in this case, 'emancipation') on to person 'B', person 'A' is 'artificially' elevating the 'status' of person 'B' so person 'A' can justify the impending 'fall'.

This 'bluff & bluster' is designed to cover up the fact that person 'A' has reached a point in the conversation that they don't want to 'think' anymore (conclusion). That, I understand.

I said 'normally' because your offer to continue reading indicates that you haven't reached the 'point' where you don't want to 'think' anymore.

I don't 'consider' myself to be "emancipated", I am just 'thinking' through the same subject matter you have before you and seeing it for what it is.

There is no 'emancipation' or being better than someone else. There is only 'be-ing' (thinking). 'Be-ing' (thinking) is a 'burden' that nobody wants to 'shoulder'. I understand that.

Turning around and facing who you are, un-covering and 'be-ing' what you find is the only thing that makes a difference.

Somewhere you know that, I'm just the messenger.

Dasein (be-ing there)

Number 6

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 10:49 am
@jgweed,
Dasein is best understood as "being-there" (not simply as "existence"), i.e., being "in-relationship" with another Being (another "being-for-itself").

Number 6

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 03:27 pm
Re Heidegger's "Dasein":

As I understand the term, Dasien means "existence" or "being-there." For Heidegger there is no such thing as detached reflection, his is a world of flesh and bone, and it is through "angst" (a special form of anxiety), that the totality of human existence is revealed. Rejecting abstract and theoretical approaches, i.e., the traditional metaphysics of presence, to investigate "questions of being" (Seinsfrage), Heidegger grounds Dasien in concrete human situations. Rather than focusing on the foreground, and bypassing the (traditional) subject-object model, Heidegger looks to the background conditions against which entities appear intelligible to us ("disclosedness"). It is Dasien's "pre-ontological understanding" which makes this possible. That is to say, Dasien, somehow, has a prior understanding of Being (I smell metaphysics). This a priori (I'm unsure as to the applicability of the term) knowledge, embedded (or grounded) in everyday activities opens a "historically unfolding clearing" against which entities show up. Dasien is always "ahead of itself," it "runs ahead." Dasein is future directed ("Being-towards death"). Heidegger posits three "existentials" (which I take to be the main characteristics or elements of Being). The first, or starting point, is "throwness." That is to say, a Being's "facticity" - the fact that it exists; Being is not self-generating (causa sui). Being is "at issue" with itself. [As Sartre puts it: "I am responsible for everything except my own responsibility."] Next, is "projection." Dasien always (necessarily) takes a position on its life through concrete action. Finally, Dasien is "discourse." As such, it articulates (i.e., addresses or discusses) entities. Heidegger argues that the resolute confrontation of death (the culmination of our possibilities) is necessary for "authentic existence" (or "authentic Being"). Dasien is "being-toward-death" (that is, future directed). Being is "authentic" when it accepts its responsibility for its life as a totality; not simply a sum of choices, but as the "happening" of a life. That is to say, a life "stretched out between life and death". In other words, "Becoming." It follows then, that inauthenticity (a natural tendency) is Being's flight in the face of its own finitude. Heidegger argues that this tendency results from our existence as "they" (das Man), i.e., participants in the "historically constituted happening of a people" or Volk.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:43:37