Papa Death

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Existentialism
  3. » Papa Death

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:49 am
Take something you usually become fascinated with, sex. During the act the mind is completely shut off from all things except the act at hand, and you just exist in that moment of space and time, but as soon as it's over you start to think of what you have to do tomorrow, wash up, is it trash day and so forth. I think it's only the most intense moments of people's lives that they truly experience just being rather than trying to do something with a great purpose. What's so scary about just existing? Why aren't we content with that? I think it's because we work our entire life to avoid being still because being still often refers subconsciously to being dead.

People just aimlessly abide this fear that if we stop to smell the roses one too many times we'll stop existing all together.

Night Ripper

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@Tony phil,
Well, "just existing" is kind of dangerous. Staying alive requires keeping an eye on your surroundings and being able to anticipate what's going to happen next.

Krumple

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:35 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;131848 wrote:
Well, "just existing" is kind of dangerous. Staying alive requires keeping an eye on your surroundings and being able to anticipate what's going to happen next.

This makes it sound like life should be paranoid. heh

Fido

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:59 am
@Tony phil,
Tony;131843 wrote:
Take something you usually become fascinated with, sex. During the act the mind is completely shut off from all things except the act at hand, and you just exist in that moment of space and time, but as soon as it's over you start to think of what you have to do tomorrow, wash up, is it trash day and so forth. I think it's only the most intense moments of people's lives that they truly experience just being rather than trying to do something with a great purpose. What's so scary about just existing? Why aren't we content with that? I think it's because we work our entire life to avoid being still because being still often refers subconsciously to being dead.

People just aimlessly abide this fear that if we stop to smell the roses one too many times we'll stop existing all together.

It is interesting to see sex laid beside death because that has been a poetical reference since forever, and it may have to do with the death wish; but I do not think you have captured sex as an experience... Some times people just bump their uglies or rub one off; but when it was good for me I always wished for a zipper down my back so I could turn my skin inside out and wrap it all around her to feel her all at once... What did Catulus say to his friend: Venus and her cupids gave my girl an unguent, and when you smell it, all you'll want the Gods to do is make you one gigantic nose to smell it always with... I would like to have such a nose...Some times love making is so incredibly pleasurable that it takes away the power of death and the fear of life... So often we have to rush through love and into work, or work so hard we forget about love...Done right, the right love has the power to make every act of life an act of love....One does not leave it but to come back hungry for it and eager, ready to adore, willing to slave for it, desirous of sensing love with every sense, and taking from it all spiritual connection with ones love...Any dog can have sex...One must be an artist to become ones art, and a lover to love...

Tony phil

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:53 pm
@Fido,
Fido;131869 wrote:
It is interesting to see sex laid beside death because that has been a poetical reference since forever, and it may have to do with the death wish; but I do not think you have captured sex as an experience... Some times people just bump their uglies or rub one off; but when it was good for me I always wished for a zipper down my back so I could turn my skin inside out and wrap it all around her to feel her all at once... What did Catulus say to his friend: Venus and her cupids gave my girl an unguent, and when you smell it, all you'll want the Gods to do is make you one gigantic nose to smell it always with... I would like to have such a nose...Some times love making is so incredibly pleasurable that it takes away the power of death and the fear of life... So often we have to rush through love and into work, or work so hard we forget about love...Done right, the right love has the power to make every act of life an act of love....One does not leave it but to come back hungry for it and eager, ready to adore, willing to slave for it, desirous of sensing love with every sense, and taking from it all spiritual connection with ones love...Any dog can have sex...One must be an artist to become ones art, and a lover to love...

It's not so much the act of sex I'm capturing here though, or any other specific act, rather just any moment in which you're caught up in. Sex is just a good example, because even though (and I agree), that people more now then ever just bump uglies to get "one" off, in that very moment in which you do get off you're captivated.

Let's use another example, like horror. Lets say you're rummaging through your drawer and all of a sudden down comes from your ceiling this Xenomorph from the Alien franchise with Sigourney Weaver. "HOLY ****" now what? The only thing going through your mind is, "wow... how scary, I do NOT want to die here" and your adrenaline rushes and (hopefully) you reach safety. After the whole ordeal, you begin to think, "Oh man, my dog's still inside, when can I get back home? I'll never be able to do that thing now," and so forth. You almost immediately after the horrifying moment of near death begin to climb right back into your over crowded schedule and thought patterns, but in that moment, you and that alien were the only two things existing PERIOD.

You can apply this to any extreme point of any emotion, but you can never just feel like that. Short of acting, you can't just exist in any moment unless an extreme variable presents itself. :Glasses: <---totally awesome

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:05 pm
@Tony phil,
Tony;132468 wrote:
It's not so much the act of sex I'm capturing here though, or any other specific act, rather just any moment in which you're caught up in. Sex is just a good example, because even though (and I agree), that people more now then ever just bump uglies to get "one" off, in that very moment in which you do get off you're captivated.

Let's use another example, like horror. Lets say you're rummaging through your drawer and all of a sudden down comes from your ceiling this Xenomorph from the Alien franchise with Sigourney Weaver. "HOLY ****" now what? The only thing going through your mind is, "wow... how scary, I do NOT want to die here" and your adrenaline rushes and (hopefully) you reach safety. After the whole ordeal, you begin to think, "Oh man, my dog's still inside, when can I get back home? I'll never be able to do that thing now," and so forth. You almost immediately after the horrifying moment of near death begin to climb right back into your over crowded schedule and thought patterns, but in that moment, you and that alien were the only two things existing PERIOD.

You can apply this to any extreme point of any emotion, but you can never just feel like that. Short of acting, you can't just exist in any moment unless an extreme variable presents itself. :Glasses: <---totally awesome

I used to have a reticulated python that sort of had the run of my apartment...He would spook me some times by crawling over me in the night, but one time, I had reached for a handkerchef in a dimly lit room, in an open drawer and got a good handful of that snake, and that was the one time I was really spooked by it... Looking for soft and warm and find cold and indifferent...ooh

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:08 am
@Tony phil,
Tony;131843 wrote:

You're touching on a great issue here. We really do live mostly in the future, if not in the past. Hegel & Heidegger both address this. Man's present is haunted by the project & by death. The project is a concept of an ideal future. Sometimes this is just a hamburger (which is our more animal side) and sometimes this is a free and just society or the image of ourselves as a rock star or a philosopher or a millionaire (our more "spiritual" human side.)

It seems to me that the most important thing about humans compared to animals is that our "projects" can evolve. We conceptually evolve & our projects become more noble, beautiful, etc., as we do so. So we evolve, in my opinion, both on an individual level, a cultural level, and also as a species. But much of us still is animal, yes? Nothing wrong w/ that when we are friendly animals....

What do you think?

William

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:23 am
@Fido,
Fido;131869 wrote:

Well said Fido. See, we don't disagree on everything, ha! Let's not get making love and having sex confused. They are entirely different.

William

Fido

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:41 am
@William,
William;133990 wrote:
Well said Fido. See, we don't disagree on everything, ha! Let's not get making love and having sex confused. They are entirely different.

William

I don't believe they are different...Sex without love is a form of violence, and that fact is not changed just because two people are doing it to each other, or that each is submitting to it... It has the characteristics of an assault, people are injured, and the intent of the act is not love, and not love is, not good, not caring, but is often hate...Like our work efeuseekay...It means sex, and it means violence...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Existentialism
  3. » Papa Death
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.61 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:33:29