Lack of Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

melonkali

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:28 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:

Actually, philosophy has a key practical usage in the job market. A degree in philosophy suggests that you can read, write, think, and talk better than the majority of the people. Sure, its hard to go out and get a job as a philosopher, but there are plenty of fields where the skills learned are directly applicable.

I'll bet Alex Trebek's philosophy degree contributed to his being selected as the host of Jeopardy. (I really don't know if I meant that seriously or not.)

rebecca

talk72000

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:03 pm
@melonkali,
Without his glasses he looks a bit like Rock Hudson.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:21 pm
@dharma bum,
dharma bum wrote:

Exactly when did it occur that one could no longer be a philosopher by profession?

Why is our society so obsessed on utilitarianism and practical intelligence that we've forgotten what it is that creates the heart of our society? Philosophy shapes, solely, the mindset of our culture, the way we use science, the way we treat others, etc. Why has it disappeared? People scoff when a college student says he's a philosophy major. Does anyone else feel that this is a disgusting trait in our society, and perhaps the cause of many of our problems? Science can't advance our society, only thought can. In schools, we're not taught to think, we're taught to solve meaningless problems that are given to us. Why isn't philosophy being taught in public high schools?

Sorry, just a structureless list of thoughts, I know. This just strikes me as a bigger problem than people think.

But there are professional philosophers. Those who are paid to teach and to philosophize. Go to the Web site of any university, and most colleges which have a liberal arts program, and you will find a philosophy department there. In fact, in many states, an institution cannot have a liberal arts program without teaching philosophy.

north

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:31 pm
@dharma bum,
dharma bum wrote:

Exactly when did it occur that one could no longer be a philosopher by profession?

Why is our society so obsessed on utilitarianism and practical intelligence that we've forgotten what it is that creates the heart of our society? Philosophy shapes, solely, the mindset of our culture, the way we use science, the way we treat others, etc. Why has it disappeared? People scoff when a college student says he's a philosophy major. Does anyone else feel that this is a disgusting trait in our society, and perhaps the cause of many of our problems? Science can't advance our society, only thought can. In schools, we're not taught to think, we're taught to solve meaningless problems that are given to us.

Quote:
Why isn't philosophy being taught in public high schools?

because for the most part they , the students , aren't matutre enough to handle the depth of thought , brought on by philosophical discussion

Quote:
Sorry, just a structureless list of thoughts, I know. This just strikes me as a bigger problem than people think.

I agree with you

but how to go about teaching philosophical thinking and by who , would be an interesting discussion

HexHammer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:50 pm
@dharma bum,
Very simple, because most philosophy has been cleared out, and now has been refied into consulents, spindoctors, researchers ..etc.

I don't see how the past philosophy has been very productive, often it ended up in only selfmastubational nonsens and endulgence.

north

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:55 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Very simple, because most philosophy has been cleared out, and now has been refied into consulents, spindoctors, researchers ..etc.

some truth to that

Quote:
I don't see how the past philosophy has been very productive, often it ended up in only selfmastubational nonsens and endulgence.

how far back do you go though ...?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:56:27