Religion of Science/Science of Religion

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Krumple

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:10 am
@pondfish,
pondfish;139498 wrote:
humans are fools

My favorite saying, "For having such intelligence, humans are the dumbest creatures on the planet."

PappasNick

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:17 am
@Theaetetus,
north;139472 wrote:
concept , is in the mind , a thought

what I'm trying to point out is the physical form that enabled you to have a mind and therefore enable you to develope , the idea of concept

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

What do you think we need to learn by virtue of the fact that ideas are contained within the physical brain? That nothing transcends the physical?

Is the physical brain the "outside?" Or am I misunderstanding you?

north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:00 pm
@PappasNick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
concept , is in the mind , a thought

what I'm trying to point out is the physical form that enabled you to have a mind and therefore enable you to develope , the idea of concept

PappasNick;139581 wrote:

Quote:
What do you think we need to learn by virtue of the fact that ideas are contained within the physical brain?

without the physical brain , where else would idea's reside ? and develope

Quote:
That nothing transcends the physical?

what has this got to do with the development of ideas

Quote:

outside of what exactly ?

PappasNick

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:56 pm
@north,
north;144974 wrote:

outside of what exactly ?

You were speaking about "outside" below. I was trying to understand. (See your post at 03-09-2010 11:07 PM in this thread.)

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:58 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;139581 wrote:

What do you think we need to learn by virtue of the fact that ideas are contained within the physical brain? That nothing transcends the physical?

Ah materialism! Using concepts to deny that reality is conceptual. Using language to insist that on the ultimate meaninglessness of language. I'm not saying this is your view P.N. This is actually just an addition to your question here. How could one assert that nothing transcends the physical w/o contradiction, as such an assertion clearly transcends the physical. And concepts like "physical" already transcend mere sense experience. What a tangled web of questionable dualities. Would you agree? Is it not strange that philosophy, which is made of thought, should exert such force to reduce thought to an organ which as organ and object is clearly made as much of concept as it is sensation? The desire for unity/monism is something I can understand, but what is this lust for materialism? It's almost masochistic.

---------- Post added 04-17-2010 at 09:00 PM ----------

Krumple;139538 wrote:
My favorite saying, "For having such intelligence, humans are the dumbest creatures on the planet."

Of course I know what you mean. But the dumber we are, the more likely statements such as this are bound to be inaccurate. Just as those that "know that they don't know" shouldn't therefore trust this same knowledge of their ignorance. Or is doubt the one allowable leap of faith?

north

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:54 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;145314 wrote:
You were speaking about "outside" below. I was trying to understand. (See your post at 03-09-2010 11:07 PM in this thread.)

the outside is the Universe

it is the Universe which not only makes us but gives life a place to stand on

PappasNick

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;153348 wrote:
Ah materialism! Using concepts to deny that reality is conceptual. Using language to insist that on the ultimate meaninglessness of language. I'm not saying this is your view P.N. This is actually just an addition to your question here. How could one assert that nothing transcends the physical w/o contradiction, as such an assertion clearly transcends the physical. And concepts like "physical" already transcend mere sense experience. What a tangled web of questionable dualities. Would you agree? Is it not strange that philosophy, which is made of thought, should exert such force to reduce thought to an organ which as organ and object is clearly made as much of concept as it is sensation? The desire for unity/monism is something I can understand, but what is this lust for materialism? It's almost masochistic.

It's ironic, isn't it? Our brains make use of concepts to create technology that in turn tells us how our brains work.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;153798 wrote:
It's ironic, isn't it? Our brains make use of concepts to create technology that in turn tells us how our brains work.

And our brains tell us how to interpret what this technology tells us. And our technology explains how such is possible. It's quite a feedback loop. I still insist that we are always playing with concepts. We've got the parts of the brain all labeled. We conduct our investigations conceptually, record our measurements conceptually.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:51:20