Faith

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:21 pm
Nietzsche's Idea of Faith Hi everyone! I had a few questions to ask that if answered, would really help me write my upcoming philosophy speech. I'm wondering how radical it would be if I attempted to prove that Nietzsche's idea of faith is hypocritical of his disbelief of opposite values in good vs. evil. He seems to constantly believe that faith and reason is good vs evil. Is there anything in the text of good vs. evil to help me prove my point that can be further explained because the only time he really brings faith up is to bash it with his anti christian world-view. When he says "...it is much rather the faith of pascal, which resembles in a terrible manner a continious suicide of reason" Is he speaking of christian faith or faith in general? Also, he says "there is an innocence in lying which is the sign of good faith in a cause".. What exactly does he mean by this. But the main reason for my arguement is what he says on number 191 about faith. I have several reasons why i want to argue his idea's... the first being whenever he brags about Socrates laughing at the noble men who couldn't give a good enough reason for feeling the way that they did.... as if having a reason makes the truth any more truer than if a feeling made you feel the same way
"Socrates himself, to be sure, with the taste of his talent--that of a superior dialectician- had initially sided with reason; and in fact what did he do his life long but laugh at the awkward incapacity of noble Athenians who, like all noble men, were men of instinct and never could give sufficient information about the reasons for there accusations"
he goes on to say that Socrates laughs at himself as well because in himself he feels feelings of difficulty and incapacity just as the ones who have blind faith
he also describes Plato and how Plato believes that faith and reason both lean toward one goal the good ... "God". and since Plato all theologians and philosophers are on the same track-that is, in moral matters it has so far been instinct, or what the Christians call "faith," or "the herd," as i put it, that has triumphed. perhaps Descartes should be excepted, as the father of rationalism (and hence the grandfather of the revolution) who conceded authority to reason alone: but reason is merely an instrument, and Descartes was superficial.
even though he says moral matters when he describes faith he isnt talking about faith as a moral matter alone. I'm wondering if my paper is going to have any obvious loopholes because I've tried to research for weeks and haven't gotten as many answers as I'd hoped for so I would greatly appreciate any help.
Also... If this helps any... my intro sentence is along the lines of why does a claim, that cannot be proven by reason, have to be false?

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Cory

jack phil

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 01:02 pm
@CW146428,
I don't think I can offer much help, as I never had much interest in reading N. I would love to read your presentation whence you finish it, however. You seem to have a good footing already.

Good Luck!

jgweed

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 01:12 pm
@CW146428,
I think you need to clarify both for us and for yourself precisely what you want to prove, especially with a view to understanding that N. uses faith in several different ways. N's views of Sokrates and Plato are often quite different depending on what N wants to illustrate by mentioning them.
For N, the belief in truth and the ability of reason to get to it, is often called a matter of faith, or as N might say, a prejudice of philosophers.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@CW146428,
CW146428;150637 wrote:
I'm wondering how radical it would be if I attempted to prove that Nietzsche's idea of faith is hypocritical of his disbelief of opposite values in good vs. evil. He seems to constantly believe that faith and reason is good vs evil. Is there anything in the text of good vs. evil to help me prove my point that can be further explained because the only time he really brings faith up is to bash it with his anti christian world-view. When he says "...it is much rather the faith of pascal, which resembles in a terrible manner a continious suicide of reason" Is he speaking of christian faith or faith in general?
Even to speak of good and evil in such manner only shows his ill knowledge of psycology and in general ignorent of life.

In life there's little good or evil, most things consist of both, or none, it just is.

Some would say predetors are evil, since they kill other animals for selfish gain, but intelligent people would look deeper and state predetors keeps the victims with a healthy and strong pool of genes.

Faith in itself, will often blind people, make them selective and look away from the bad things, and only skuld those they don't like, it ends in favoritism and comradery.

CW146428;150637 wrote:
Also, he says "there is an innocence in lying which is the sign of good faith in a cause".. What exactly does he mean by this.
What he Imo say, is "the cause justify the means", you can be ruthless, cruel, merciless ..inhuman, just as long as it serves a greater purpose.

CW146428

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 02:49 pm
@HexHammer,
I think I have decided against arguing Nietzsche.. Any idea's of possible arguments against the idea's presented in "The Symposium," Heidegger's "Basic Writings," Kant's "Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals," or Descartes Discourse on Method and Meditations on First philosophy? I would greatly appreciate any idea's..

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:20 am
@CW146428,
CW146428;151476 wrote:
I think I have decided against arguing Nietzsche.. Any idea's of possible arguments against the idea's presented in "The Symposium," Heidegger's "Basic Writings," Kant's "Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals," or Descartes Discourse on Method and Meditations on First philosophy? I would greatly appreciate any idea's..

Smile I think I would be impressed by a paper on Faith vs. Believe...
Over the centuries people thought about it but I never really understood the difference. In my language faith would be translated to Lot (like in lottery), a neutral concept. Something every-one is subject to and you can not influence. May be Einstein was right not believing in a God rolling dices...

Lebro123

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 06:36 am
@CW146428,
Nice one...and hopr that they helped u in this one

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:53:52