The Unexpected Universe

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » The Unexpected Universe

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Wozz

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:40 pm
Has anyone read the book "The Unexpected Universe" by Loren Eiseley? I'm halfway through it and I haven't been able to grasp anything he is saying.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 05:50 am
@Wozz,
well, my 12 second research project on this author reveals that he is obscure, his books were published a long time ago (i.e, 1970's) and are on disparate subjects that seem to have not much connection.

Quote:
Drawing from his long experience as a naturalist, the author responds to the unexpected and symbolic aspects of a wide spectrum of phenomena throughout the universe. Scrupulous scholarship and magical prose are brought to bear on such diverse topics as seeds, the hieroglyphs on shells, lost tombs, the goddess Circe, city dumps, and Neanderthal man.

Scrupulous? Magical? Even the title "Unexpected Universe" seems a bit naff, because it implies there were people hanging around before the universe came into being, with no idea that anything like 'a universe' might be about to happen. I mean, they weren't expecting it. Now, I wonder where they lived?

Conclusion: it is entirely possible that you can't grasp anything he is saying, because he has nothing to say.

Suggestion: try another book/author. There are many to choose from.

Wozz

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:10 am
@Wozz,
I can't change books, sadly I have to relate this book to political theory. The author is actually a Biologist and I don't have any idea how to relate this to political theory.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:27 pm
@Wozz,
Oh that's a pity. I didn't realise you were being made to read it. I really can't help, but I am sorry if I sounded high-handed about it.

Wozz

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:35 pm
@Wozz,
Oh, not at all. I dislike the book...I've got 10 pages left to read then 15 pages to type. The only thing I got out of the book was a small talk about dualism.

xris

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:03 am
@Wozz,
Wozz;169246 wrote:
Oh, not at all. I dislike the book...I've got 10 pages left to read then 15 pages to type. The only thing I got out of the book was a small talk about dualism.

I can only say be honest and commit your views to paper. If he tells you nothing ,then say so but obviously give credible reasoning.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Philosophy 101
  3. » The Unexpected Universe
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:10:08