How often do you think about death?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » How often do you think about death?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:00 am
Title, but state your age as well.

platorepublic

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 11:11 am
@BennySquire,
Not a lot. Actually not at all, until now, but only for a few... oh I am 20.

Citia

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@BennySquire,
I do think about it a lot but I realise that the concept of death depresses me so I stop thinking about it and I try to focus my mind on the present. But It's very interesting to come up with theories as to what happens when we die

Leviathen249

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 08:06 pm
@Citia,
Almost every day. The idea that your conscience ceases to exist fascinates me to the point of insanity. I mean think about it... not that any of us can. Razz
Oh, I'm 17.

BennySquire

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:29 am
@Leviathen249,
Leviathen249;165527 wrote:
Almost every day. The idea that your conscience ceases to exist fascinates me to the point of insanity. I mean think about it... not that any of us can. Razz
Oh, I'm 17.

For what period of time, Leviathen? And you're right, I think because we exist, we cannot imagine non-existence - because the mind works by comparison and non-existence cannot be compared! Even 'darkness' or 'blackness' cannot be correct. Therefore there is no point in thinking about it, surely?

Ergo phil

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:49 am
@BennySquire,
When loved ones die.

I am as old as the number of those I love. I am ageless.

BennySquire

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:53 am
@Ergo phil,
Ergo;165762 wrote:
When loved ones die.

I am as old as the number of those I love. I am ageless.

This just made me think of something which I had thought about before - we measure our age by a number - but early man would not have been able to do this. Therefore he would not know exactly how old he was, unless he paid special attention to it.

Leviathen249

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 07:59 pm
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;165756 wrote:
For what period of time, Leviathen? And you're right, I think because we exist, we cannot imagine non-existence - because the mind works by comparison and non-existence cannot be compared! Even 'darkness' or 'blackness' cannot be correct. Therefore there is no point in thinking about it, surely?

I don't understand what you mean by ''For what period of time." If you are asking how long I think about it, then i would say for about 5-10 min. Then I remember that there is no point because I will never understand. But never understanding amazes me also. So I try to understand why I can't understand. Like a dog chasing his tail, what a sad realization. Razz haha

BennySquire

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:50 am
@BennySquire,
Yeah I meant for how long Smile And I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, as I said and you agree there's no point in it. Smile

Abeydube

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:13 am
@BennySquire,
I Think about death quiet often simply as i have a very inquisitive mind. The thing that interests me most is not the paradoxical nature of death but simply how profound it is in general

Also im 17 as well

BennySquire

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:15 am
@Abeydube,
Abeydube;166506 wrote:
I Think about death quiet often simply as i have a very inquisitive mind. The thing that interests me most is not the paradoxical nature of death but simply how profound it is in general

Also im 17 as well

What do you mean by "how profound it is in general"?

Abeydube

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:28 am
@BennySquire,
Well simply the idea that there can be a time in which we do not exist or rather cannot exist...I also think about it psychologically and wonder what does a dying person feel and how does a dying person think...what are there last thoughts leaving this earth..but ill never know the answers because no one has ever lived to tell the tale of death

Purplesawdust

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 04:31 am
@BennySquire,
I am 16 and immortal.
I feel that sickness will never touch me and the death has no grasp.
I feel that the world is never-ending and that life will never be clasp.
My life has no worries and that everyone will forever be living.
My world is a small place but grand and every so scaling.
I am 16 and immortal.

I leave you with this: life will change me before it hangs me.

Abeydube

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 07:55 am
@Purplesawdust,
Purplesawdust;166793 wrote:
I am 16 and immortal.
I feel that sickness will never touch me and the death has no grasp.
I feel that the world is never-ending and that life will never be clasp.
My life has no worries and that everyone will forever be living.
My world is a small place but grand and every so scaling.
I am 16 and immortal.

I leave you with this: life will change me before it hangs me.

Honestly thats whats to be expected of someone in our age caliber your just a normal 16 year old ..You have that invisibility that comes with youth and if you do things right it can stay with you forever..or at least as long as you live

BennySquire

Reply Fri 21 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@Abeydube,
Abeydube;166868 wrote:
Honestly thats whats to be expected of someone in our age caliber your just a normal 16 year old ..You have that invisibility that comes with youth and if you do things right it can stay with you forever..or at least as long as you live

What do you mean by "invisibility"? I'm 16 and know I'm not immortal.

Purplesawdust

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 04:27 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;167038 wrote:

There is a difference from knowing your immortal and FEELING your immortal. It's something that i can't really explain... It just is.

BennySquire

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 06:40 am
@Purplesawdust,
Purplesawdust;168044 wrote:
There is a difference from knowing your immortal and FEELING your immortal. It's something that i can't really explain... It just is.

So in the future I won't "feel" immortal?

Abeydube

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:08 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;167038 wrote:

By invisibility i mean you have that recklessness that comes with youth. Not so much that you think your immortal but that you believe that no matter what you will make it somehow...even if you are hurt in the process

Lily

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:59 am
@BennySquire,
I think about death quite often, probably once a week, but I do only really think about it, realise that I going to die a bit more seldom. Six times a year maybe.. and I'm seventeen.

Khethil

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:07 am
@BennySquire,
I think about it fairly regularly when I'm in a thoughtful or considered place. I think we all should; if for no other reason than to help clarify our feelings or prepare our psyches for the eventuality. It needn't be morbid, there are many faces to this issue.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » How often do you think about death?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:33:03